Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Crunchy Apple & Grape Salad

I was craving something crunchy.

I was craving fruit.

Grapes and apples in particular.

I knew I had a crinkly recipe for an apple and grape salad hiding somewhere in one of my old recipe binders.

I dug it out, tweaked it a wee bit and made this:

Crunchy Apple and Grape Salad.

Crunchy Apple & Grape Salad1

This is one salad that will give your jaw a workout. I ate it for breakfast, then had some more for lunch, then I had it again for breakfast and lunch again the next day. Then I took a break, lol.

I love the crisp crunch you get in every bite and the bits of sweetness from the nuts, with a little hint of cinnamon thrown in there.

Feel free to take this and make it your own with the fruits you are craving.

Crunchy Apple & Grape Salad
Printable Recipe
Dressing
1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
juice from 1/2 a lemon
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 granny smith apples, cored and diced
2 red delicious apples, cored and diced (I used Gala, you can use any kind you like)
1 pear, cored and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup walnuts, chopped
2 cups seedless grapes, halved

Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Stick this in the fridge while you make the salad.

Once you have everything chopped up, pour the dressing over and stir gently to coat.

Refrigerate any leftovers.

Crunchy Apple & Grape Salad in bowl

12 comments:

June said...

Oh my goodness! In my family, this was known as Waldorf salad, and it had place of honor at Thanksgiving. I cannot even think of it without smelling the turkey roasting. Seeing your photos makes me want it NOW. In August. Why have I never thought of that before?

What would I do without you?

Doreen Frost said...

OH my goodness is right..this looks fantastic..I just came from the grocery store and now I might have to go back..this looks so great and sounds delicious!

:)D

Mayberry Magpie said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!

I'm making that this weekend.

(I'm guessing it won't explode in my face, so it'll be a nice way to ease back into the kitchen after my great disappointment.)

Carol said...

YUM YUM and MORE YUM! I need to pick up everything to make this next grocery shopping trip..what a GREAT salad, Lisa!

Cyndy said...

OMG! This looks so refreshing!

Carol if you make it, i'm coming over!! Thank you Lisa!

Erica said...

Nice salad!

gardenmama said...

What beautiful photos!
I recently made apple, grape, celery and yogurt mixed together the texture was delicious! I will have to try out this recipe as well, it looks really good and I like that it can be eaten any time of day as my little ones enjoy snacking here and there : )

Laurie said...

I would eat this for breakfast too! And lunch.

My counter is overflowing with zucchini right now so your chocolate loaf recipe is much appreciated.

Daziano said...

This looks so fresh. Nice recipe!

Jeff said...

Love the flavors and this salad would make an awesome breakfast. Something I am definitely lacking.

~M said...

This looks fabulous!

I don't eat mayonnaise...do you think it would work to sub plain yogurt, more vanilla yogurt (and reduce/eliminate the brown sugar), or plain Greek yogurt (which is almost like sour cream. Thanks!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

M sure. I'd give it a try. I don't think obmitting the mayo will hurt it one bit.