Monday, February 28, 2011

Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos 1

I get into these craving moods every once in awhile.

The last thing I was craving was stuffed cabbage. Still haven't made it cause no one in this house will eat it and I can't see making a whole pan just for me.

The next thing I was craving was fish tacos.

A girl I work with was talking about them. She's originally from California and was telling me that they are quite popular there. I thought it was funny that they weren't here. I mean I live in the Ocean State after all. There is an abundant amount of reasonably priced (sometimes downright cheap) seafood to be had here in Little Rhody. Why aren't fish tacos popular here?

So I set my mind on making them. Now I needed a recipe. A good recipe. If was going to make these for the first time and hopefully get my family to want me to make them again, they had to be good.

That's where Melissa comes in. I tend to call her Sweet Melissa, cause well, she is one of the sweetest people that I have met in the blog-o-sphere. She's one of those people that even though you haven't met in person, you just know that you would hit it off. She's one special lady in more ways then I ever could convey here.

Kind beyond measure, brave and inspiring, that is Melissa. She is also one helluva good cook, so when she suggested that I give her fish taco recipe a try, I was all over it.

I now have to tell you. It's official. My husband and kids just might like fish tacos more then the traditional meat or chicken. It's true. We all LOVED these! Loved them! I double the recipe and I'm so glad I did cause we ate them for dinner and then we ate them again for lunch the next day. So delicious! I added in some caramelized onions, cause you know I'm all about the onions.

Melissa has a great recipe for salsa on her site that she used with these tacos. I'm so not about the salsa or heat, I think you all know that by now. I also know that so many of you are all about the salsa so check it out here!

Like many of you, Melissa likes her food hot and spicy and she was really happy she made the salsa. I was really happy I made these tacos.

Fish Tacos 2

Fish Tacos
Twelve 1- to 1 1/2-ounce pieces of halibut or cod (I used cod and doubled the recipe, so glad I did!)
12 corn or flour tortillas
oil for deep frying (I used vegetable oil)

Beer Batter
1 cup flour
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups beer (I used Melissa's suggestion of Boddington's Pale Ale)
garlic powder, pepper, cayenne and salt, to taste

White Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup yogurt

Heat vegetable oil in a deep skillet until oil temperature is about 375°F.

Mix flour with spices. Stir flour mixture into the beer and mix until well blended. Pat fish completely dry, then dip in batter until thoroughly coated. You don't want it too thick, but one nice goopy layer will do. You'll know the right consistency when you get it. Honest.

Place fish in hot oil in a single layer. Do not let pieces touch each other. Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown, a few minutes per side. Drain on a rack over paper towels.

For the sauce: Mix the mayo and yogurt together. Pretty easy stuff.

To assemble, heat the tortilla either over a gas flame, like we do, or in a hot skillet. Place a piece fish on each tortilla, drizzle with white sauce and top with salsa, lettuce or cabbage and a squeeze of lime, some caramelized onions, avocado.....whatever you like on your tacos. Fold and eat!

17 comments:

Darcy@SomewhatMuddledMusings. said...

These look good, Lisa! And I'll second the cabbage for an addition instead of lettuce. It adds a whole 'nother flavor profile..especially if you do a lightly sauced cole slaw. I found these at a restaurant in San Antonio a few years ago and fell in love with them! I do a grilled version for my son and I.

~Rosanne said...

These look so good. I just might have to try them.
Thanks for the coupon!

TKW said...

You had me at beer batter! Dang, those look good!

Amy @ The Savvy Kitchen said...

I've been looking for a good fish taco recipe! Thanks!

Amy said...

Ah yes, Melissa :D

People who have never had a fish taco, when first hearing of it, usually cock their head like a dog, and say "um. no thanks." They have no idea what they're missing.

I already have a go-to fish taco recipe, but I have no doubt that Melissa's is stellar.

And now...I'm craving some!

Melissa said...

I've been craving them myself. They look great Lisa. And thank you ever so much for your kind words. They mean a lot. ♥

Rocquie said...

I haven't made fish tacos yet, but I should. We have a nearby Mexican restaurant where my husband always orders them, swoons, and talks about them for days. You have inspired me.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

These look wonderful.
And, once again, I could EAT your photography.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good . . . I love fish, but have never had it in a taco. YUM!!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Wow! Those look soooo fabulous!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

New Southern Pantry said...

I love the cole slaw with a little horseradish added. Really sets the fish off well. Love your blog!

sheila @ Elements said...

You know i've still never had a fish taco in my life? yours looks wonderful though! :)

I usually just make coleslaw and then place my piece of fish right on top of the cabbage salad and eat it like that. I guess it's kind of like a fish taco salad?

The beer batter for the fish sounds easy. I might try that tonight when I make onion rings. Thanks! :)

Christi_scrapsalot said...

I am so making these tonight!! I have never had fish taco's. Our neighbor is a avid fisherman and keeps giving us fish. So I was looking for new fish recipes. Thanks!

Christi_scrapsalot said...

I am so making this tonight! My neighbors is an avid fisherman and keeps giving us fish. I have never had fish taco's. I have been trying to find new fish recipes. Thanks!

Christi_scrapsalot said...

I just had this lunch! LOVE IT! I used Talipia. It was awesome!

EatingSeafood said...

These look and sound AMAZING. Definitely sharing this with our fans at facebook.com/eatseafood. If you have any other delicious seafood recipes, share them with our fans, or check out the page for seafood inspiration :)

Bethany said...

oh, you live in RI, how neat. Lived there all my life, until about 6 years ago, moved over the border into CT. Still work in RI. My dad grew up on BI.
My brothers all live in CA.
My best friend too. She's always eating fish tacos.
I had one when I went out to visit and can't stop thinking about them.
Yours look amazing.
All your food is so gorgeous looking and YUM!