Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Amaretto Almond Pound Cake

Amaretto Cake tinted

There are times that the end of the day calls for a cuppa tea and some pound cake.

Days, for instance, when you plant over 150 bulbs, clean out your raised beds, weed the chives, pull out all of the dead leaves from the perennials, make two trips to Lowes, make a trip to the nursery (ok John did that without me), make a trip to your favorite local growers, transplant 6 pots of lambs ear for your co-workers, and get 4 spots in the yard ready for grass seed!

That was Friday for us. We were pooped!

When we take the day off, we mean business.

There's no loafing around or watching movies, no siree, we are going to cram as much into one sunny day as humanly possible....then we'll collapse on the couch.

Amaretto Cake tinted 1

Sometimes you want a non-fancified dessert. No-frills so to speak. This pound cake was the perfect ending to a very busy day.

Amaretto Almond Pound Cake
1 ¼ cups butter, softened (2 and ½ sticks)
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoon almond liqueur
1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Oven to 325.

Beat the butter and the cream cheese at medium speed with a heavy duty electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add the sugar beating a medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add the liqueur and vanilla, beating until just blended. Gradually add the flour to the butter mixture at low speed just until blended after each addition.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating at low speed just until blended after each addition. Sprinkle almonds over the bottom of a greased & floured 12 cup bundt pan, or 2 loaf pans.

Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Amaretto Cake tinted 2

8 comments:

Unknown said...

major craving now! so hungry for this and a nice cup of joe.

Amy said...

Ah Lisa, you make me miss my garden and yard so much. I want...I need...to be a homeowner again. I swear I would buy a house, just so I can have Paul build me planter cages. And to christen the new abode, I would make pound cake. Why not? It's comin'. Rest assured, it's comin'.

Jaynie said...

How much sugar?

Kimmy Bingham said...

Oh yum. I love this... I was actually thinking of a bourbon pound cake the other day but I think I like the amaretto better!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Jaynie, sorry about that. I fixed it!

Cindy said...

That looks amazing! :-)

Jesse said...

This sounds DE-lish. Definitely pairing it with a cuppa tea this week

Monica H said...

How come alcohol just makes everything better? I like how the almonds become part of the loaf too. looks tasty!