Friday, August 17, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Blueberry Buttermilk Cake 1

I have lots of blogs that I follow. I don't always get to read all of them every week. I try, but I have it admit, that would be a part time job in itself.

There are the blogs that I will glance over, seeing if something peaks my interest and then there are those blogs that I almost get giddy with excitement over when I see they have a new post, cause I know it's going to be something beautiful to look at, and something I know I'm almost always going to want to make.

That's how I feel about Alexandra's Kitchen. Not only are her photos beautiful, but whatever she seems to make I find my self wanting to run right out to get all the ingredients to make it myself.

Sign of a great blog I think.

I saw this Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake and I knew it would be in my oven.

Lucky for me I had just picked fresh blueberries that week. It was like this recipe was waiting for me.

Blueberry Buttermilk Cake

There is just something magical about the smell of fresh blueberries baking in the oven. This cake was nothing short of delicious.

Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
recipe from Alexandra's Kitchen
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk

* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.

Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Creating Through LIFE said...

This looks AMAZING! I will definitely be trying it.

Andra said...

This is so beautiful!!! Now it's on my list too :)

jeri said...

I hadn't seen this blog before, so thank you for sharing. There are so many talented cooks out there, it blows the mind. I love how you all support each other and keep the egos at bay. World leaders could learn a lot from the food-blog community.

The Rusty Thimble said...

Lisa you have won on my blog
http://therustythimble.blogspot.com/
I could not email you you do not have a reply email enabled

I need your address thank you for participating
Brenda

Gerilynne said...

I waited to long to make this - no more fresh berries. How do you think frozen would hold up?

Michelle said...

I have made this and it is really good. Pinned it from her blog awhile back. ;)