Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Apple Crumble

Apple Crisp

We are off on vacation this week!

We always take a week in October because it's my favorite month.

We celebrate 3 birthdays in October, my sister-in-laws, my Dad and my youngest son, and 2 anniversaries, my brother and his wife and ours, so October is a pretty great month in my book and then on top of all the celebrations we have Halloween! My second favorite holiday (Yes Christmas is #1).

I love that the air is crisp and chilly. I love to see the leaves turning magnification colors. I love pulling out my sweaters from the cedar chest.

It's time to settle in and hunker down in our cozy little home.

Vacation is also a time for me to make a bunch of recipes. I'm testing out a new bread recipe, a few casseroles and a potato dish that looks fantastic. I can't wait to share them with you all.

This Apple Crumble will have to hold you over for now.

I found a great blog last week called Alaska from Scratch.  It's one of those blogs that just pulls you in and makes you feel right at home. I found myself scrolling through page after page after page, bookmarking so many of Maya's recipe that I think if I actually blogged them all she would think I'm a bit of a stalker.

I saw her recipe for Ginger Peach Crumble Bars and with a little tweaking turned them into Apple Crumble.

Remember, I have 40 pounds of apples to use up. You are going to be seeing quite a few apple recipe in the near future I can promise you that.

My apples were very sweet to begin with. I used a blend of Macouns and McIntosh apples. If you are using a tart apple, like a Granny Smith you may want to increase the sugar just a smidge.

Can I just say one last thing. Warm Apple Crumble on a chilly day - perfect comfort food.

Thank you for this recipe Maya!

Apple Crisp 1

Apple Crumble
Adapted from this recipe at Alaska from Scratch
4 cups peeled and diced apples
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
Dash salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg

For the crumble
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces
1 egg beaten with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla paste

Oven to 375.

Put the apples in a large bowl. Add in the flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix with a spoon to coat. Set aside.

In another bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut the cold butter into the mixture until it resembles crumbs. In a small bowl beat the egg and the vanilla with a fork and add it into the mixture. Stir to incorporate.

Evenly divide the apples into 4 large baking dishes or 8 small ramekins  If you want to make one big apple crumble, pour the apples into an 8x8 inch baking pan. Spread the crumb mixture over the apples and bake 35 - 45 minutes depending on what size baking dish(es) you are using. When a knife slides into the apples easily, you should be good to go! Place on a cooling rack or eat warm!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i was just looking for a good apple recipe... no i think i have found what to make for dessert tonight :)

chinese restaurant brisbane said...

It looks nice on the photos. I think this is good recipe, thanks for sharing.

Christan Farkap said...

I have searched thru the 'possible' MOST "yummy" sounding APPLE "crumble, crisp, bake"...I have filled the bowls, tossed, twirled,...& ummm...SAMPLED 1 or more times, of each PREP bowl��
I still have not placed in the oven, but INCREDIBLE it is so far!