Monday, January 28, 2013

Hot Sweet Onion Dip (and a bit of a rant)

Hot Sweet Onion Dip 1

I recently visited an amazing blog filled with gorgeous photographs and wonderful recipes.

I marveled over the sheer beauty of this blog.

I scrolled through page after page of perfection. One gorgeous photo after another. One delicious looking recipe after another. Every other day a new recipe. I was so impressed. Then I read the about page:

Author-Baker-Cook-Photographer... and oh yeah one more little tid bit....she is a resident physician! Wait it gets better...with 2 toddlers!

How? How can this be? It just boggled my mind. Where does this woman find the time? Seriously? I work full time outside the home. 45 hours a week. I put a hot meal on the table every night, I cook and bake on the weekends and try to take a photo in the small amount of natural sunlight that the New England skies offer during the winter months and I'm lucky, if on a good week I post 2 things.

How does she juggle being a doctor, raising toddlers and food blog all at the same time? I can't fathom it. I really can't. I griped about it on Facebook and got some funny responses. How does she do it all I asked?

  • She has an assistant
  • Her nurse does it
  • One word: Nanny(ies).
  • She has no friends. And a husband who cheats on her. See, it all evens out in the end!
  • Meds. Very good meds. Maybe she can get us some

and my favorite response:
  • Magic.

I stopped comparing myself to the Pioneer Wimmin's of the blogging world. I will never be "that" blogger. I will never have a cookbook deal or a TV show or appear on daytime television. I know that. I'm ok with that, but I just have to say that her blog made me feel like an under-achiever. I'm sure some of you will know who I'm talking about. There can't be a whole lotta food blogs written by doctors can they? At least I don't think so. I may be totally in the dark here.

I don't have a personalized logo, or a recipe index. I don't have a "press" tab or have any of my recipes in categories. I just don't have the time to do any of that.

This really through me for a loop. Made me question this little blog of mine, this tiny piece of the Internet that some folks visit. Made me hate my not so perfectly lit photos taken in the garage before 4pm  because after that it gets too dark to photograph anything.  Made me feel bad about forcing my family to eat early every weekend or I won't get to photograph the food and then there goes another post down the drain.

It dredged up every bit of self doubt I had. I try so hard not to let it get to me, but it did. It had me questioning whether or not I should even continue this blog. It really had. Who would have thought a search for a birthday cake recipe for my Mom would have done this?

I just have to keep telling myself that I can't do it all. I thought I resigned myself to that fact. I don't know why that blog got to me the way it did. I'm thankful for every person that reads these words and makes my recipes and shares part of their world with me. I really am. I just have to let it go and not compare and just be me, but sometimes that is easier said than done.

And oh by the way.........I made a cake from a recipe on her blog and the cake sucked. The frosting was awesome but the cake was very disappointing. Maybe that was the universe saying "hang in there"?

Okay, enough with that......let's talk about dip shall we.

Here is a not so perfect picture that I'm sure foodgawker would reject immediately!


Hot Sweet Onion Dip


I have served this dip three times since Christmas. It was a huge hit every time.

It's very light, almost ricotta like. I tweaked it just a wee little bit.

If you are hosting a Super Bowl party, I can guarantee that this will be the first thing they eat.


Hot Sweet Onion Dip
adapted from a recipe at White on Rice Couple
8 oz package of cream cheese (very softened)
1 cup mayo
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup finely diced sweet onion.
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the softened cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer (about 1 minute). Add the remaining ingredients and mix by hand until combined.

Place in an oven safe dish. Bake 30-45 minutes for all ingredients to cook together. You want the top to be nicely browned. Serve with your favorite bread, crackers or chips.
Post a Comment