Monday, January 6, 2014

Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast

Sweet Bread French Toast

Hello friends. I'm back.

Oh what a peaceful and happy vacation I had.

I read, (one big huge book in 3 days, 2 more to go), I watched movies (Despicable Me - MINONS! Enough said!), I cooked! My mother-in-law bought me an electric pressure cooker and I am in love! It's quickly becoming my most favorite kitchen appliance. Mac & Cheese in 6 minutes, Baby Backs in 50! I'm sold. I'm warning you all now....there will be pressure cooker recipes coming your way!

Those 10 days or so that I had off felt so good. Really good.

No alarm clocks, no rushing home after 5pm to make dinner.

I sipped tea and hot cocoa and mocha latte's from my new Kerig.

I curled up on the couch with comfy blankets and fluffy socks that went up to my knees.

I stayed up late, well late for me anyway.

I yanked my curls up into pony tails and swore pajama pants almost every day.

It was bliss...and then I had to go back to work Thursday. Oh well.

We had a bit of a nor'easter pass through Thursday night too. Work was cancelled for Friday. Cancelled! SNOW DAY! Snow makes me think of pancakes and French toast. I don't know why but it always does.

This is some of the best french toast I've ever had. It's made with Portuguese Sweet Bread. If you haven't had Portuguese Sweet Bread then you are missing out my friends.

I live in a small town, in a very small state (the smallest actually!) Even though we are little, we have a diverse community. It's rich in Italian and Portuguese culture. We live near a thriving Portuguese community, which includes a few fantastic Portuguese bakeries where I buy this bread.

It's light and airy and just sweet enough. We usually just eat it toasted with butter and then I came up with the idea of using it to make French toast! One of my finer moments!

I think I am on a bit of a breakfast kick. I've been pinning and looking up breakfast recipes like a crazy woman. If you can get your hands on some of this delicious bread you so need to make this!

Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast
recipe from Lisa @The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
1 loaf Portuguese Sweet Bread
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk or half & half
dash vanilla

Mix the eggs, cream and vanilla in a shallow bowl. I use a pie plate. Slice big thick pieces of the sweet bread. Soak, grill in a buttered pan. Heaven!

No comments: