Monday, November 14, 2016

Coffee Cake Gingerbread Muffins with Streusel Topping

Gingerbread Muffins with Maple Glaze

If you haven't already noticed I am a bit obsessed with gingerbread. I've always loved it. I dont know if I'm more in love with the smell or the taste of it.

When I have something "gingerbready" in the oven my it makes my whole house smell warm and cozy. It's a festive smell you know? Like when you walk into a carnival and you can smell the candy apples or the cotton candy.

So I have to admit I have loads of gingerbread recipes to try and I'm doing my best to pace myself so you don't get gingerbread overload, and I know there are folks out there who don't like gingerbread. *gasp*. Tis true. But for my fellow gingerbread lovers I bring you these Coffee Cake Gingerbread Muffins with Streusel Topping. It's a sweet and lovely moist gingerbread muffin topped with a deliciously crunchy streusel topping.

Gingerbread + coffee cake = scrumptious.

I varied this recipe just a tad from the original. I used just a wee bit of maple syrup for the glaze. You know me and my maple, almost as bad as me and my gingerbread!

Gingerbread Muffins with Maple Glaze 1

Coffee Cake Gingerbread Muffins with Struesel Topping
Recipe from Deliciously Yum
PRINTABLE RECIPE
Makes 12 muffins
For The Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup butter, melted

For The Streusel Topping
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
pinch of salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 all-purpose flour

For The Glaze

1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a muffin pan with liners or grease very well. Start with the streusel topping, combine sugars, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and whisk to incorporate. Add flour and stir until just combined. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.

In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg and milk. Slowly add wet ingredients into the dry and stir until barely incorporated. Finally stir in molasses and butter and mix to combine. Don't over mix. It's okay if some lumps remain.

Evenly divide batter between the 6 muffin liners. You will be using the entire batter and fill each muffin tin pretty full. Sprinkle with all of the streusel topping. Put into oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let muffins rest for 2-3 minutes in the pan or until you're able to invert the muffins and transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and heavy cream until smooth. Drizzle desired amount over each muffin and enjoy!

No comments: