Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Bacon Brussel Sprouts au gratin

Brussel Sprouts Gratin blog 2

Brussel Sprouts! I love them!I know lots of you don't, and I'm sorry for that, you'll just have to wait for the next recipe. But let me tell you this about this particular recipe. My friend Mitchell, who does not like brussel sprouts ate this and loved it, so don't knock it till you try it!

I saw this recipe on one of the many little video recipes on Facebook and I immediately put brussel sprouts on my shopping list. I made this for a small dinner party and everyone went nuts over them. Even the sprout haters!

It's so good that I'm adding it to my Easter menu.

It cheesy and delicious and I can't wait to make it again!

Brussel Sprouts Gratin blog
Bacon Brussel Sprouts au gratin
slightly adapted from a recipe at 12 Tomatoes
PRINTABLE RECIPE
2 lbs pounds brussel sprouts, halved and tough end trimmed.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese for sprinkling on top
1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Oven to 400. Toss brussel sprouts in olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place them in a 8x8 baking dish and roast for 15‐20 minutes, or until semi‐softened.

In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, egg, and garlic powder and red pepper if using. Stir in cheese.

Remove brussel sprouts from oven and add 3/4 bacon to the baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over the top and stir everything together, then top with remaining bacon and mozzarella.Reduce oven temperature to 350ยบ, return baking dish to oven and bake for 20‐25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and just set. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before eating.

No comments: