Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Bars

Choc Chip Pretzel Bars CU

During some of my relaxing time off I actually did a good bit of reading and catching up on my magazine subscriptions. There were a few lazy days that I sat in the gazebo, put my feet up and read my copies of the various foodie mags that were stockpiling themselves up on end tables. There was a mountain of them I tell ya.

I often will call out the names of recipes that I find interesting and announce them to whoever is around me at the time. Most of the time my announcements are met with “uh-huh” and “okay’s” and once in a great while I’ll even get a “sounds good”. Let’s just say the rest of my family doesn’t get as excited as I do with the prospect of a new recipe.

This was not the case with this recipe. I mumbled out “Hmm Chocolate Chip Pretzel Bars” and my husband, who usually nods or grunts actually said, “I love anything that’s sweet and salty like that”. Wait, did I actually hear a coherent sentence?? I know I sound like the teachers on Charlie Brown to him when I have my face buried in a foodie magazine “Wah wah waaaa, wah waaa wah”. Did he actually listen to the words that were coming out of my mouth?

It was true. There were no nods, no grumbles, no grunts, not even a heavy sigh.

I was amazed.

Naturally after receiving such an enthusiastic response, I just had to make these for him.

Choc Chip Pretzel Bars on table

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Bars
Printable recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1-cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 – 12 ounce bag bittersweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups mini pretzels, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch metal baking pan with parchment paper allowing overhang on the two long ends.

In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter with both sugars at medium speed until light, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. At low speed beat in the dry ingredients. Stir in the chips and pretzels.

Choc Chip Pretzel Bars VCU

Spread the batter in the pan and top with the sprinkles. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. The center will still be a little gooey. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool completely.

Run the tip of a knife around the side of the pan, and lift the bars out using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.

Choc Chip Pretzels Bars TS

These bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

17 comments:

Parita said...

pretzels and chocolate chips is grt combination, looks fabulous!

m said...

these look like a huge win! I'm marking this one to try.

Jennifer said...

I love this mix!!! WOW!!! I am saving this to make in the near future! thanks so much! :)

Deeba PAB said...

I gawked when I saw this at FG & raced over pronto. Heavens, it must have been good. The idea of sweet & salty appeal to me too. i have a batch of olive oil brownies in the oven at the mo. These have to be my next snack attack!!

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Yummy! Salty and sweet is the BEST combination! -Jackie

Crystal said...

I am making these tonight! Yum!

elly said...

These look delicious. I love pretzels and chocolate together, too.

Unknown said...

Great minds think alike, Carrie pointed this recipe out to me on an old Springfield local cookbook, they're named "camp care packages" there and I made them to take to our kids at the cattle show in Tulsa last week. I made a double batch and they were gone within two hours.

Brittany (He Cooks She Cooks) said...

Yum yum yum! Chocolate and pretzels are a great combo. Get a little peanut butter in there, and this could go over the edge.

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

I cannot wait to try this! This combination is the ULTIMATE!

Doreen Frost said...

These look wonderful Lisa!!!! I've always enjoyed the combination of pretzels and chocolate, these are something I'm going to definitely try.

:)Doreen

Sprouted Kitchen said...

i saw these! they look so good... a take on the favorite chocolate covered pretzel ;)

Carrie said...

What a great idea! I never would have thought to put pretzels in chocolate chip cookie bars, but I bet they are fantastic!

Tim said...

You know, as ridiculous as this sounds I'm only just started to get into enjoying sweet things. This looks like it has just the right amount of savory to get my attention -- can't wait to give it a try!

Nicole W. said...

I just made these and they're delicious! Only two questions:

1. My pretzels didn't stay totally crunchy. How do I fix that?

2. I can't get them to cut into nice perfect squares -- how is that done?!

Thanks!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Nicole -

The pretzels don't stay crunchy. I wish that they did, sorry no answers for you there.

As far as cutting them. Lots of time I use a plastic knife. You know those cheap little plastic ones you get with take outs. They seem to do a great job of cutting brownies and bars.

I'm glad you made them :)

amish baby crib said...

Lovely! I like it so much. I just tried it and it is really nice.