Monday, February 8, 2010

Apple Streusel Bars

Apple Strusel Bars on plate

If you haven't visited Hannah at honey and jam then all I can say is...you are missing out.

You are missing out on some of the most beautiful food photography imaginable.

You are missing out on terrific recipes.

You are missing out on one of the most talented 19 year olds the world has.

Yup she's only 19.

Can I just say, that for most of my 19th I wasn't as ambitious or half as talented as she is, and even though I had just got my very first "real" camera, I never took pictures like this girl does. You can check out her other stuff at fields and woods.

I found Hannah when she linked back to this recipe of mine. I suddenly got a lot of hits from this honey and jam site so I went to check her out and then proceeded to read every post she ever wrote, all while oogling and drooling over her photographs and saying "oh I have to make that" - a lot. I ohh and ahhh and want to make almost everything I see on her blog, but these Apple Streusel Bars really got me. While I was in a dessert making frenzy for my Mom's birthday, I added this recipe to my menu.

So glad I did. I'm apple crazy anyway. There aren't too many things with apple in them that I won't eat. These were divine.

Apple Strusel Bars in pan

Apple Streusel Bars
recipe from Honey & Jam
Printable recipe
Pastry:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. real butter, softened
1 egg, beaten

Apple Filling:
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples (I used gala)

Glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
About 3 Tbsp. milk (whole milk is best)
1/2 tsp. almond extract

To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.

Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Preheat oven to 350 and set aside.

To prepare apple filling, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon and toss with apples.

Spread apples out on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.(Mine took 50 minutes to test done)

When finished, allow to cool.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spoon glaze on top of bars. (I like to glaze them when they’re still a little warm, so the topping isn’t bright white)

Apple Strusel BarsLS

11 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

Your photos are gorgeous and this looks mouth watering! I love apple desserts!

Bunny said...

I just put her into my reader Lisa. But let me tell you your pictures are terrific! Look at the color of that bar, the beautiful pale yellow of the butter is making me drool! I have to make these, they look like a pastry from a store. Thank you!!

Lisa@ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Bunny, they were like pastry, really good pastry. I'm glad you put her in your reader, you'll love her stuff.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow these look awesome! I made something similar a few months ago. There is something about steusel that screams delicious...:)

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

ohhh, yummm. you certainly have me drooling!

:)Lisa

Amy said...

Greetings Lisa - can't tell you how many times I read your comments on Melissa's blog and Kim's blog (two of my absolute favorites) and think..."damn, she sounds cool. I should go check her out." But then I don't.

I'm finally here, though. And I love the post I hit. These look A.MA.ZING. Of course, I have a severe weakness for sweets. And p.s. your photography is just as wonderful as Hannah's.

Unknown said...

These look so good. Why am I feeling for a cup of coffee now after staring at these. Thanks for youy recommendation to the honey and jam site

katie said...

Wow Lisa!! Great shot, those look delicious.

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

I'm so glad you liked them! And thank you so much for your kind words. :)

gonzomama said...

that looks so so good. adding that to my "i need to make this" list.

off to check off hannah's site!

Farmgirl Susan said...

These look really good. Beautiful photos. Nice bakelite fork, too! : )