Friday, June 25, 2010

To Die For Blueberry Muffins Revisited (again)

Blueberry Muffin FS

These muffins are famous.

Maybe not famous to everyone across the whole wide U S of A, but they are pretty darn famous around these parts and even stretching into the Ohio Valley (my mother in law routinely makes them in OH, she even shares!)

I've even had a few of my blogger friends make these and post about them.

I came across this recipe years and years ago. From whom, I don't even remember. If I did remember I would thank them for pointing me towards this terrific recipe that I have made and posted about, not once, not twice, but three times now.

I've never blogged about any recipe three times people.

These muffins are that good.


Blueberry Muffin solo

A crunchy struesely topping covering a moist and blueberry filled center.

You don't need to remember to let the butter soften.

You don't need to drag out your mixer.

You can use fresh blueberries, or you can use frozen ones.

It's a laid back, easy kinda recipe.

Blueberry Muffin in basket 1

Grab a couple of bowls and a few spoons.

Whip up a batch for a lazy Sunday breakfast, or a hectic Monday morning.

Double it cause this recipe only makes 10, and let me tell you, 10 is not enough.

To Die For Blueberry Muffins
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
enough milk to fill one cup
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400. Grease the muffin cups or use muffin liners.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Place the vegetable oil into a 1-cup measuring cup and add the egg and vanilla. Pour in enough milk to fill it to the 1-cup line. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Don’t over mix! Gently fold in the blueberries. The batter will be thick.

Fill the muffin cups to the top. I used an ice cream scoop and one scoop filled them perfectly.

To make crumb topping:

Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cubed butter and cinnamon. Using a pasty blender or a fork combine until the butter is pea sized. Sprinkle over the muffins before baking. I used a heaping tablespoon for each one. Trust me, heaping mounds of topping are a good thing.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes in a preheated oven or until they test done. Let cool 5 minutes in pan, and then remove from pan to cool on a rack. Eat warm if possible!

9 comments:

Carol said...

I love these muffins too, Lisa.......they go together in a snap, and man oh man, are they ever tummy pleasers.
That streusel definitely sends them over the top. I don't blame you for blogging about them 3 times-they're THAT GOOD! :)

Foodiewife said...

OK, OK, I'm makin' these! I made your sour cream waffle and they are to die for. I trust you. Tomorrow morning.
Beautiful photo. Nice color, clarity... just lovely.

Melissa said...

I know Katie made them... I still have this printed out near the front of my recipe binder and just caught sight of it in there this morning. I promise I will make these!

Darcy said...

We made these today, Lisa, from our bluberry pickings. We loved 'em! I need to now make some mega-batches for freezing!

Memória said...

I'm sure these muffins are pretty famous in other parts of not only the U.S, but in other pockets of countries as well. These are my favorite blueberry muffins, too. Great photos!

Aaron John said...

Blueberry muffins are my favorite!! These look great! I love how there's a topping on them!!
Would you mind checking out my blog? :D
http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

stampmonkey said...

Just found your blog...congrats on your Apple Crumb Muffins kudos --they look heavenly!

I found "To Die For Blueberry Muffins" on allrecipes.com several years ago and the recipe is VERY similar to this one. Here's the link if you're interested in checking it out: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/To-Die-For-Blueberry-Muffins/Detail.aspx

I haven't made them in a few years...your post (and pics) made me think I should do something about that right away! ;) Thanks for the inspiration.

Johanna said...

Awesome!! So glad I happened chance across your blog, we just picked 8 pounds of blueberries that I'm sure I can offload a couple pounds of it into these muffins. Perfect! I had another recipe that just wasn't hitting the spot, and these wereeee perrrrrfect! Lovely crunchy top moist perfect center. I was nervous about the batter being so THICK, and almost added to thin it out..soooo glad I didn't. Thanks again! Lovely blog!

christy said...

WOW!!! these are DELISH:) when I saw a "to die for" blueberry muffin I had to make it because I love blueberry muffins and have been on a hunt for the best one and this is it!!! I can see why you have posted it 3 times because everyone should have this recipie. soooo good! Thanks