Friday, September 10, 2010

Cola Brownies

Coca Cola BrownieCU

I'm preparing for a very productive weekend.

I will admit this to you now and hate me if you will....I am "that"person. The one who usually has all her Christmas presents planned out before Halloween, all her shopping done by Thanksgiving.

That chick who aggravates the majority of the population who have the decency to wait until the month of December to shop, but please try and understand me here people. We try and make something handmade each Christmas. We really put a lot of thought and time into each years project. We try to customize each persons gift so they know it was made just for them, cause well, it was. I can't start making things in December, so fall is when we create and paint and stain and antique.

I like to save the month of December for wrapping and cooking and baking. No trips to the shopping malls. No fighting for a parking spot. No stress. It's a beautiful thing.

My close friends and I stopped exchanging gifts a few years ago. Instead, we all chip in and make a delicious, sometimes extravagant, dinner. Break out the lobster, shrimp and filet mignon. We are talking wild and decadent feasting. We have a few adult beverages, we eat, we laugh (hard) and most importantly, we spend time together.

There are all sorts of crafting plans rolling around in my head. I'm excited just thinking about them. So we'll be very productive over the next few months. We'll make a lot of trips to Lowes and Home Depot. My hands will be stained, my eyes strained, and my fingers aching, but it's always all worth it.

I really don't have a smooth segway from Christmas crafts to brownies, so simply put....here's some Cola Brownies I made.

Cola in Brownies. Really? It's true.

I made these on a whim. I think Mrs. Crocker sent me an email and from it, inspiration was born.

I have to say, these were good. Very good. I think my favorite part was the creamy frosting, so much in fact I think I just may have to find other recipes to use it on. It really was light and delicious.

I made this for a weekend dinner filled with friends. They were the perfect little ending.


Coca Cola Brownie

Oh and in case you're wondering.....no you can't taste the cola in the brownies, and yes, I used a boxed brownie mix *GASP!!!!* Don't be hating.

Cola Brownies
Recipe from Betty Crocker (you rock Betty)
Makes 24 bars.

For the brownies
1 box (1 lb 2.3 oz) Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
½ cup cola (from a 12oz can)
½ cup buttermilk

For the frosting
½ cup butter
¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
¼ cup cola
4 cups powedered sugar
½ cup chopped, toasted pecans (optional) We used mini chips.

Oven to 350. Spray bottom only of a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.

For the brownies: Combine all the ingredients for the brownies in a bowl and stir until well blended. Spread into pan. Bake 24 – 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side comes out clean or almost clean. Cool completely.

For the frosting: In a medium microwavable bowl, melt the butter on high for 45 to 60 seconds, stirring once. Stir in the cocoa and cola. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. Spread over cooled brownies. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.

8 comments:

oneordinaryday said...

My favorite bundt recipe uses root beer, so I don't think it's all that weird to add cola. Bet they taste delicious.

I love your holiday dinner idea. That is awesome and sounds like a blast.

Charlene said...

Boy that looks delish. I wonder if it would work with brownies from scratch?

TKW said...

Cola in brownies--who new? They look scrumptious, though.

jancd said...

I think I will suggest your dinner idea to my friends. We really don't need anything and we do enjoy each others company. How could we go wrong? Your brownies look delicious. I have used cola in icing before, coffee, too. Both add a richness to the icing.

Foodiewife said...

I've heard of these, but haven't made them yet. I'll bet they are moist.
Pssssssssst. Come to my blog.
You have a surprise waiting for you.
Congrats!

Kim said...

Pecking on my phone on our way to dinner at the lake. I hope my mom made brownies cause now I'm craving boxed brownies! I've never frosted them but now I'm gonna. Thank u for this morning Lisa. I wanted to tell u then but I was .. Well I'm glad u were there. U didn't realize it but u were really there for me.

Avril said...

Fun to find another "New Englander" blogger! I am from Southern NH. :-)

Beautiful blog all around! LOVE the looks for those "Cola Brownies"....I must make a batch soon!

Megan said...

These look killer. I like the dark little layer between the frosting and the brownie. Oh my, there going on that ever growing "must make" list! :)