Friday, September 3, 2010

Sour Cream Pound Cake - Plain good.

Sour Cream Pound Cake - sprinkle CU

Sometimes you just want something simple.

You want something that's no fuss.

That you can mix all the ingredients into one bowl, plop it into a pan, stick it into the oven and a little while later, take out a delicious cake that is just plain good.

That's what this pound cake is. Plain good.

Sour Cream Pound Cake - sprinkle

I've been making this particular pound cake for ages. I found it in a fundraising cookbook. You know those spiral bound books that churches and organizations sell to raise money? Yup, one of those. Cause honestly, those cookbooks have some of the best recipes.

This book is called the Pimental Family Cookbook. The recipes are predominately Portuguese. The man that I worked with, whom I bought the book from, was indeed Portuguese. Go figure huh.

I worked with Tony for a long, long time. He was one of my favorite people at work. He's retired now. I still see him from time to time. Every once in awhile he'll bring me a loaf of sweet bread. Oh my, if you never had Portuguese sweet bread you don't know what your missing. Toasted with butter....man, my mouth is watering just thinking about. I miss ya Tony, you and that sweet bread.

When I make this cake, from a recipe by his mother, it makes me think of him and smile with every bite.

Sour Cream Pound Cake slice

This cake is sweet and light and the perfect texture. You can top it with fruit or whipped cream, but we love it plain straight outta the pan with a big glass of milk.

Sour Cream Pound Cake
2 stick butter, at room temp (do not substitute)
6 eggs, room temp
8oz sour cream, room temp
3 cups sugar
3 cups flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)

Oven to 350. Grease and flour a tube pan or a bundt pan*. Use the second rack from the bottom in your oven.

In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold the baking soda into the sour cream. Add half of the four and half of the sour cream into the mixer. Beat well. Add in the remaining flour and sour cream and the vanilla and almond extract. Mix well. Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes, invert onto rack to cool completely.

*I used a bundt pan when I made this. I usually use a tube pan cause it's a lot of batter for a bundt. I put a pan under the bundt just in case it overflowed, but it didn't.

12 comments:

Charlotte said...

I look forward to trying this recipe sometime. But for right now, I'm still hooked on Paula Deen's Mama Pound Cake Recipe.

From my heart to yours I hope you have a restful Labor Day.

Hugs,
Charlotte

Tracy said...

Mmm, this sounds scrumptious! Can't wait to give it a try. :-)

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love sour cream pound cake! It's simple yes, but the flavor is wonderful, either plain,or with fruit.
Have a great week end!

TKW said...

I actually prefer the simple, homey cakes. Those are the kind you can toast and call breakfast :)

Unknown said...

The inside of this poundcake looks perfect

Anonymous said...

Made this today. It is delicious!

Monica H said...

This looks like it has the perfect texture. Love those cookbooks, they really do have some of the best recipes.

Jenny Sunshine said...

I made this last night for my hubby's brother and dad- I actually made half a recipe (with the almond extract-yum!) and put it in a loaf pan. Served with thawed frozen berries and cool whip- it was a perfect end to dinner! Thanks for a great and easy recipe!

Hungry Dog said...

I was just looking for a recipe like this yesterday, wish I'd come across this. I am bookmarking for sure...I love simple classics like this.

Eloise said...

One question, did you use plain or self rising flour?

Eloise said...

One question, did you use plain or selt rising flour?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Eloise, all purpose flour.