Thursday, July 14, 2011

Easy Linguine & Clam Sauce

Linguini Clam Sauce1

Summer is in full swing in New England. We've had our toes in the sand, a few drinks in our hands, quite a few nights around the fire pit, and we have had the A/C's cranking! It's been a hot few weeks but I'm not complaining (well maybe I do complain just a wee little bit when my hair frizzes). The hot weather has been wonderful for our tomatoes. They are taller than I am now and we have little baby tomatoes sprouting up all over. My cukes and zukes are doing great too. I've already picked three zucchini and there's lots more on the way. My basil sprang back after the rabbit attack. Yeah!! Curse you wrascly wrabbits!

We're off this weekend for a fun-filled vacation to Jersey for a surprise party for John's Aunt. She has no idea that all her family is gathering to celebrate her 60th birthday. We can't wait! Excitment overload! We get to see my in-laws too! We really miss them being so far away so any opportunity to spend time with them is always wonderful. We'll also be checking out the Atlantic City Boardwalk. I can only imagine how many pictures I'll be taking.

Ok back to the food.....because of the heat and mostly the humidity, my stove gets a bit of a break during July and August. We tend to grill, grill and grill some more. There are times when I do use my stove when the temps are soaring, my oven....not so much. This is a stove top recipe that won't heat your kitchen up too, too much.

I told you that I was going to cook my way through Cristina Ferrare's cookbook and I am on my way.

This quick and easy linguine & clam sauce didn't take long at all to make, but the flavor was fantastic. Loads of garlic and olive oil, fresh herbs and salty clams make it the perfect summer pasta.

Linguini Clam Sauce

This is so easy to make, I promise you that you can serve it up on a week night in less than a half hour.

The flavor is just amazing. I love clams so this was a no brainer for me.

Linguini Clam Sauce.2jpg


Easy Linguine & Clam Sauce
recipe from Cristina Ferrare's Big Bowl of Love
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Italian parsley, loosely packed
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (I omitted)
2 - 6 1/2 ounces can of minced clams in clam juice * I used 3 cans of chopped, not minced clams. I drained one can and used the juice from the remaining two. I wanted bigger chunks of clams.
1 pound linguine
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
8 lemon wedges (optional)

While you prepare the clam sauce, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and boil until al dente.

Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat for 30 seconds. Add the olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic, parsley and red pepper. Saute until the garlic just starts to turn brown. Don't burn it or the garlic will taste bitter. Add the clams with the juice from the cans. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and set aside.

Drain the pasta and give it two good shakes. It's not necessary to drain all of the pasta water completely. Place the pasta in the pan with the clam sauce. Add the lemon juice and toss to combine. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.

I steamed some fresh local steamers to top off my dish. Delicious and they look pretty too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah pasta! I love it, but usually spend the whole summer grilling. Can't wait for a cool night to make this one.
Karen

Donna Elick said...

This looks very pretty, I only wish I liked clams. It looks delicious!

Melissa said...

Mmmmm. Love.

Have fun at the party and seeing all the family! xo

Becki (Becki's Whole Life) said...

I'm going to have to get that cookbook - I have seen a bunch of great recipes from her! This looks wonderful. One of my old friend's mother used to make Linguini with clams and I loved it so she showed me how to make it. This is a little bit different, a great weeknight meal!

Amy said...

I'm a big believer in pasta being a year-round food. 100 degree temps or not. Looks DELISH. I love clams too. Have fun in Atlantic City...the people watching will be almost as entertaining as Las Vegas!

Foodiewife said...

My son loves this dish, and he's hinted around for me to make it. I never have, for no reason. Now I have one. Pasta is my favorite fast food, especially on a work night. I'm in!

autovit said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think that this is a easy recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.