Monday, August 8, 2011

I'm Back! Stuffed Strawberries and the Fairy Hobmother Strikes again. It's time for you to make a wish!

Stuffed strawberries 4

Hey I'm back. I told you I would be didn't I?

After a month of lots of cold suppers and lots of salads and some take out pizza and grinders, I am finally back in the kitchen. I can't say that I'm turning on the stove an awful lot, but I have been cooking and baking and even making some recipe that's don't involve heat at all. That's where the Stuffed Strawberries come in. Back to those in a minute.....

First I have to tell you all about my Fairy Hobmother and that she could be your Fairy Hobmother too.

My friend Amy from Very Culinary posted this awhile back. Go on and read it and you'll see that the Fairy Hobmother granted Amy her wish and she in turn got to help to grant a wish for one of her readers. Well I was one of those readers and I commented that I had recently burned my Lodge 6 quart Dutch Oven that I used for just about everything. I was really bummed about it and if I could have my wish I'd ask for a new Dutch oven. A few days later I get an email from the Fairy Hobmother telling me that she'd like to send me a new Dutch Oven. Are you kidding me? I really couldn't believe it but 2 days later this appeared at my door.


This gorgeous Lodge Dutch oven that was even better than the one I had! I was so tickled! All she asked me to do was to post about the gift and offer a chance for one of my reader to get their wish too! Ummm, yeah I think I can do that.

So, this is for reals. Leave a comment and tell us your wish! You could be the next lucky winner.

The Strawberries

Stuffed strawberries 3

This could be the easiest no bake dessert on the planet. Ripe delicious berries stuffed with creamy/almondy filling and topped with chocolate coffee bean sugar. Simple but elegant enough for your foo-foo friends. (Foo-foo, that's what my friends and I call high flautin' folks. No worries, I don't have any of those kind of friends, lol).

The Sugar Topping (no it's not pepper!)

I bet when you first looked at those pics you thought "has the girl been away from the ktichen so long that she's gone and sprinkled her berries with pepper?

Nah.. I found the chocolate coffee bean sugar grinder at Trader Joe's. See?

TJ Grinder

You just grind the sugar onto whatever you fancy. In fact, I fancy this sugar so much that I think I'm going to have a sugar giveaway this week. That'll be coming up too!

Ahhh, it feels good to be back.

Stuffed strawberries 2

Stuffed Strawberries

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups large strawberries

Combine the cream cheese, sugar and almond extract and mix well. Place mixture in a piping bag.

Make criss-cross cuts in the narrow end of the berry, cutting about 3/4 of the way down, then pipe in the cheese. I used a Wilton 6B tip, a really big and wide one, and pushed the tip way down to the bottom of the berry and worked my way up.

I left the stem on the berries cause I think it looks better and because it gives you something to grab onto when you are eating them.

Chill until ready to serve. You could make these a day in advance too.
Post a Comment