Friday, August 26, 2011

Spaghetti a la Philly

Spaghetti a la Philly1

I have lived in New England my whole life. I have lived in the same town my whole life.

I have experienced blizzards, snow storms, nor'easters, flooding and hurricanes.

Out of all of the above mentioned, I really don't like hurricanes and we have one headed right towards us.

Ugh.

The good thing is we have been through this before. We are prepared.

We know our garage will flood. We know that we will spend hours picking up anything that can become a projectile in the yard. I know I can kiss the last of my tomatoes good-bye *sniff*. We know that the power will go out.

We will make sure we all have a good book to read and something delicious to put in our bellies. We bought some extra lamp oil, we are stocked up on batteries, and we hit the packie (that's liquor store in Yankee talk) to pick up some beer & wine. I'm going to whip up some brownies and some bread. Make something delicious for supper and then we'll just hunker down.

This recipe is one that I could whip up even with a hurricane on the way! So easy, but ummm, not so pretty.

So not every recipe wins the beauty contest. This one is pretty ugly.

They are are not all equally photographable, but I won't let that stand in the way of sharing deliciousness with you.

Spaghetti a la Philly3

This is an easy weeknight dinner. Just adding in a small amount of cream cheese transformed this from ordinary to ordinary but with a little "wow" added in.

The original recipe called for a 1/2 pound of pasta. That is called an appetizer for my teenage boys. I adjusted the ingredients to make a full pound.

Spaghetti a la Philly
Adapted from a recipe at Mommy's Kitchen
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash (or any other seasoning of your choice)
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1 jar (24 – 26 ounces) spaghetti sauce (or use your own)
5 oz cream cheese
1 pound spaghetti, cooked and drained
Parmesan cheese

Cook the beef in a skillet over medium high heat until well browned. I added in some Mrs Dash and crushed garlic at this point too. Drain and return to the pan. Add in the sauce. Cut the cream cheese into chunks so they will melt easier. Add to the sauce. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 minutes or until the cream cheese is melted.

Place spaghetti in a large bowl and add beef mixture. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.

I found this recipe on Mommy’s Kitchen. Tina has a lot of great recipes that are very family friendly. Thanks Tina!

5 comments:

Darcy@SomewhatMuddledMusings. said...

I hope you guys will be safe with little damage!! And oldest son says we must have this tonight!

Becki's Whole Life said...

I got my package on Wednesday - thank you!!

I hope the storm really lets up before it gets up North. We are expecting it tomorrow, but not sure how much it will affect Raleigh. This looks delicious - I love what cream cheese can do to a dish!

Sally Darling said...

Hunker down and be safe! I'm gonna make this yummy recipe this weekend! I'll be thinking of you and hope you bought enough wine from the Packie to last you through the storm!

Ali said...

Come on now, it is pretty :P

Stay safe and keep us updated.

Foodiewife said...

I have to call my GF in Providence to see how she's doing. Glad you are prepared. Praying for the best for all of you on the East Coast.
Oh. And the pasta. Nom, nom.