Thursday, September 20, 2012

Acorn Squash & Pear Purée with Glazed Almonds

Acorn Squash and Pear

I'm so happy that the chillier weather is back aren't you?

I almost giddy inside with anticipation for these fall months. I can't wait to pull out all my sweaters and comfy socks. See ya later shorts and t-shirts, I've got some cozing up to do!

One of my most favorite things about fall is digging into my comfort food folder. It's filled with soups, stews and casseroles, all the things I've been missing these past summer months.

My friend Mitch and I can't even say "soups, stews and casseroles" without laughing. Those three words have kind of turned into a little mantra for us. He'll say "what's so great about fall Miss Lisa?" and I'll yell "soups, stews and casseroles!" So it's become sort of a joke with us....a very delicious joke.

I've got a bunch of recipes that have fall written all over them. I can hardly wait to share them all with you.

Let's start off slow with a side dish....this Acorn Squash & Pear Puree is just perfect. I'm a squash lover, so any dish that includes it makes me happy. Add in a little pear for sweetness, even better.

Acorn Squash & Pear Purée with Glazed Almonds
recipe from Country Living Magazine
3 medium (about 4 1/4 pounds) acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) sliced almonds
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
Salt
3 Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3 tablespoon heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add 3/4 cup water. Roast squash until fork-tender, about 1 hour. When cool enough to touch, scoop flesh with a large spoon into a medium bowl and set aside; discard shells.

In a small skillet over medium-high heat, cook almonds, 1 tablespoon butter, and sugar, stirring often, until almonds are toasted and glazed, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in sage. Transfer almonds to a plate and season with salt. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/3 cup water, pears, 1 1/8 teaspoons salt, ginger, and allspice and simmer until pears are tender, about 15 minutes. Add reserved squash. Stir with a wooden spoon, mashing any large pieces. Stir in heavy cream and remaining butter. Transfer mixture to food processor (or use an immersion blender directly in saucepan) and lightly purée. Season with more salt, if desired. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with reserved almonds.

*I halved this recipe cause I'm on the only one in my house who lives squash of any kind.


Acorn Squash and Pear2

5 comments:

Rian said...

I too am the only one in the house that likes squash. This goes for Salmon also. But I do still cook both in small quantities! Thanks for the recipe.

Rebecca said...

Yummy this looks amazing! I do miss having fall at this time of year (I live in NZ and we are going into spring - which is also lovely). Enjoy the gorgeous rituals of autumn hon. Becks x

Foodiewife said...

I'm singing the same song! Only, it's our Indian Summer, so I have to wait more towards November before I get excited about these comfort foods. I confess, I don't like most autumn squash. HOWEVER, I made a butternut squash and apple soup, that changed my world. I think this one would, too. It sounds wonderful and I definitely hope to give this one a good try.

Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) said...

This recipe just screams "fall!" Can't wait to try it, and so happy to have found your blog via Pinterest :)

Unknown said...

I love acorn squash. We normally just add butter and brown sugar. I am so going to try this recipe. It just is a perfect fall dish!