Friday, September 14, 2012

Chocolate Hazelnut No-Bake Cookies

Nutella Hazelnut cookies

I have a confession to make.

I love watching David Venable on QVC. He’s the host that does all the cooking shows.

He’s my little addiction Wednesdays and Sundays (that’s when In the Kitchen with David airs).

I don’t watch anything else on QVC, just David.

I can't explain why he sucks me in, or why I have to tape the shows, but I just do. I'm not even particularly interested in buying anything, I just like his show.

I'm not saying he hasn't lured me into purchasing anything from watching the show, cause a few things have caught my eye, oh yes they have. Only a few thing though. I had my eye on the salad chopper for a year before I bought it and I can tell you, I do use it, especially when I need to chop lots of veggies. Really comes in handy when I'm prepping veggies for soups. It's a great unitasker for me.

I also have a few sets of the lock & lock containers. Love them too. I keep all my flours and sugars in them.

Now you may be wondering how I find time to watch 6-8 hours of QVC a week? Well, I don't, but luckily I have a DVR so I tape the shows. I can watch a 3 hour show in about 20 minutes. I fast forward to the part where David bites into something delicious and makes a kooky face and then announces and actually does a happy dance when he eats it. (that's my favorite part).

I don’t know what it is about him, but I love to watch him.


Nutella Hazelnut cookies 1

He also has a cookbook coming out in a month or so. Of course I pre-ordered, that’s how you get the special edition with behind the scenes info that will not be sold in stores! I’m such a dork.

David made these Chocolate Hazelnut No-Bake Cookies a few weeks back and I was sold.

Nutella in my cookie? Yes please, a thousand times yes.

These cookies are a little chewy, a little crunchy and a whole lotta chocolaty.

Perfect to be packed in those school lunchboxes.


Nutella Hazelnut cookies 2


Chocolate Hazelnut No-Bake Cookies
recipe from David Venable
1/2 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
2-1/3 cups quick oatmeal
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1-1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
1 tsp vanilla extract

Line baking sheets with waxed or parchment paper. Place the oats and chopped toasted hazelnuts in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

Combine the condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate hazelnut spread and vanilla, and stir until completely incorporated. Add the oats and chopped hazelnuts to the chocolate mixture and mix until the oats are fully coated with chocolate.

Drop the mixture (2 Tbsp for each cookie) onto the lined baking sheets. I used a cookie scoop. Let the cookies set until cooled and hardened.

While these cookies are certainly sweet (travel-friendly) treats, they do offer some nutritional benefits thanks to all those oats and the hazelnuts. Before the kids go off fishing, kayaking, or hiking, have them eat a few cookies. They’ll be happy to!

7 comments:

Captain Shagrat said...

Anything that would turn a squirrels eye has the thumbs up from me. Must definitely try this. They would look nice gift wrapped as prezzies

Anonymous said...

Oh boy...these look just delicious and I just happen to have everything in stock- so tomorrow.
I just love the towel, napkin, or tablecloth with the black stripes in the picture. What is it and where did you get it? Please.
thanks for all you give here,
Laura

Jackie said...

I actually got to shake hands with David at the mall of america in Minneapolis. He is such a nice guy, and I love to watch him bite into food as well. His face is soooooo descriptive!.
2 questions. Do you have to toast the hazelnuts, and do you use nutella?
These cookies look amazing, I must try them!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Laura I got the napkin at a local primitive store here in RI. it's called A Bee's Buzz. It's a great store.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Jackie yes the hazelnuts should be toasted. I just threw them in a hot pan for a few minutes. I did use Nutella. I LOVE it!

Rebecca said...

Oh my these do look yummy! I think I will have to give the recipe a try. Great post hon! Becks xxx

Rebecca said...

Oh my these do look yummy! I think I will have to give the recipe a try. Great post hon! Becks xxx