Friday, December 14, 2012

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies 2

You were right.

So many of you who had lost a pet reached out to me and told me it will get better with time, and it has, a little.

That first week had me feeling like I would never have joy back in my heart again. I could feel myself slipping into a bad place. No ambition to do anything. No laughing, no smiling, just lots of tears and still feeling like the void in my life would keep me mourning forever.

Each day is gets a tiny bit easier. I'm really trying to focus on the love and happiness that Moose brought into our lives. I know we gave him the best life we could. We just all still miss him so. I am trying to get back to normal, really I am.

Part of that process was finding joy in the kitchen again. Making Christmas cookies was always one of my most favorite things to do and I didn't want to lose that this year. So even though my baby wasn't sitting close by waiting for anything to hit the floor, I got back in there baked, and it felt pretty good.

Baby steps.

I first made these cookies way back in 2008 when my blog was in it's infancy.

My photos were horrible! It's kind of comical looking back at them. Take a photo in natural light? Why I never thought of that, lol.

If you love chocolate you'll love these cookies.If you know a coffee lover, they will LOVE these cookies.

Filled with lots of bold chocolate flavor, chocolate chips and a dash of espresso powder, they are great addition to your holiday cookie list.

I dare you to find a better cookie to go with a big cold glass of milk!

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies 1

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
Yields – 3 dozen
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
½ cup butter (1 stick), cubed
1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso granules
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

In a small saucepan melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup of the chocolate chips, butter and the coffee/espresso granules. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl beat the sugar and eggs for 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chips.

Drop by the heaping teaspoon full 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I use a small cookie scoop. Bake for 350 for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and the tops are cracked. Cool for 5 minutes on the pan before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Post a Comment