Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sweet Bacon Pork Shots

Pork Shots 2

Before I even begin to talk about this recipe I have to tell you that my husband was in absolute HEAVEN when I made these. He is a kielbasa lover and he is a bacon lover so these were just bliss to him.

I had seen these on a BBQ forum and showed him a picture. The first words out of his mouth were "OMG you have to make these for me". He then proceeded to ask me about them for the next 2 weeks. Yeah I kinda had him waiting a bit. I even bought the kielbasa and defrosted the bacon from the freezer and had them both sitting in the fridge, so every time he opened the door he's ask when I was making them. That was kinda mean.

Well Labor day rolled around and I had already planned food so he had to wait until the weekend after. That next Saturday I looked up a few different recipes for them and then decided to settle on my own variation.

Pork Shots 1

I cut the kielbasa in 1 inch chunks, wrapped them in bacon so that they top of the bacon was taller than the piece of kielbasa. That gives you a little space to fill it with goodness. Secured it with a toothpick, filled it with a brown sugar and chili powder mixture and baked them until the bacon was brown and crispy.

I used the same combination of brown sugar and chili powder that I use on my Sweet Bacon Chicken Wraps and Sweet Bacon Tater Tots. These were FANTASTIC!! So very, very good. They were gone in a flash too. Perfect football food too!

I'm guessing the name Pork Shots was used because they kinda look like a little porky shot glass??? I'm not sure on that one. They also referred to these as Pork Candy. Either one works for us! They are porky goodness at it's best!

John always says "everything is better with bacon". I'm beginning to think he's right.

MAKE THESE!


Pork Shots 3

Sweet Bacon Pork Shots
adapted from a recipe at Smoking Meat Forums
1 pound bacon
2 packages of kielbasa cut into 1 inch pieces
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top of the pan. Spray the rack with cooking spray. This will allow the bacon to crisp on all sides and let any grease drip out onto the pan.

Cut the kielbasa into 1 inch pieces. Cut each slice of bacon in half. I used cutlery scissors and cut the whole package in half at once. Wrap each piece of bacon around the kielbasa, leaving a little room at the top so it can be filled. Secure with a toothpick. Place on the baking sheet.

Combine the brown sugar and chili powder and mix well. Place about a half a teaspoon on the top of each piece of kielbasa. The next time I make these I am going to double the brown sugar chili mixture and roll them in it and then top them with the same mixture. We love the taste of that combo.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the bacon is brown and crispy. Allow to cool a few minutes or you will burn your mouth. Trust us, we learned the hard way!

No comments: