Monday, January 31, 2011

Are you ready for some football.....

Sweet Chicken Wraps terrible towel

Football FOOD that is!

It's that time of year again. I know some of you could care less about the big game on Sunday, but football is taken very seriously in my house. The Super Bowl is fast approaching and my husbands team is playing.

I don't think I have to clue you in as to who he's rooting for huh? My husband and his whole family are Steeler fanatics. I've been planning the Super Bowl menu for a week now and I just found the perfect football food to accompany the game.

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps

Sweet Chicken Wraps CU

I can't begin to tell you how amazingly delicious these are, and they're easy to make too! Double bonus! Wait there's more...you only need 4 ingredients! I'm not kidding. Here is the last kicker (kicker, ya get it, football...meh, never mind, lol) This is a Paula Deen recipe and it contains no butter! Amazing isn't it? Well then again, there is bacon so that kinda makes up for the lack of butter. But anyway....YOU MUST MAKE THESE!

If you are making them for the game, or just for a party, I highly recommend doubling the batch. I doubled it this time and let me tell you, I could have easily tripled it and there wouldn't have been one left.

Thanks to my mother-in-law Carol who sent the recipe to me. Without her our bellies wouldn't have been full of this deliciousness. Thanks Mom!

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps
recipe from Miss Paula Deen
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pound sliced bacon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder

Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes. Cut the bacon into thirds. Wrap a slice around each cube and secure with a toothpick. Stir together the brown sugar and the chili powder. Dredge the wrapped chicken in the mixture.

Line a sheet pan with foil and place a rack over the pan. I used a cookie cooling rack. Don't skip the foil or you will have one sticky mess to clean up. Spray the rack with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.

*Note - I used 2 1/4 pounds of chicken and 1 pound of bacon and had enough of the brown sugar and chili powder mixture to coat all my chicken. It made 58 pieces. I'm going to use at least 3 pounds of chicken for the big game.

Sweet Chicken Wraps with helmut

Oh one last thing...

GO STEELERS!

12 comments:

Amy said...

*raises hand* okay, you know I am one of those who does not enjoy football. And yet you still love me - that's a real friend. But you also know that I enjoy the Superbowl.

And I am putting together my menu. I have my pretzel rings, my BBQ Chicken Drumettes, and my fav broccoli salad. And now, thanks to you, I have one more perfect simple thing to put out. I make bacon wrapped dates and prunes, but chicken? That's money, baby.

Anonymous said...

OMG Lisa, the hell with the Super Bowl, I'm making those for DINNER!!! Whoever knew there could be an excuse to have (modified) Bacon Candy as a MEAL? WOO HOO! Thank-you!

whitbarrett said...

I make a variation on these and put them in fettuccine alfredo with broccoli. it's a perfect dinner!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Score! Perfect use of boneless chicken. Can't wait to try!

Liz said...

i make these at least once every 2 weeks, same paula recipe too. DELICIOUS!

oneordinaryday said...

LOL
Love the Steelers shout out, but I love the snacks even more. I can do w/o the football part, though my son is a huge Steelers fan - he'll be wearing his #43 jersey!

aionaccount said...

Seriously! Only four ingredients consist that mouth watering dish, thats great! Good thing i have those in the list. Hah. Ok, i think i might enjoy this one with the Superbowl. Your blog rocks! XD

Amy @ The Savvy Kitchen said...

Bacon wrapped anything has my attention! These look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be adding this recipe to my menu for the SuperBowl!! Thanks for the tip.

Oh and although my team isn't playing in the BIG game...I'm hoping that Mr. Rogers will get his time to shine (in the Packers post-Favre era). Sorry, but Big Ben needs to eat a bit of humble pie after the year he's had...Go PACKERS!!!!

Josh - The Large Bear said...

you had me at Bacon.

Any thoughts on if this would work good as a crockpot dish. Do you think it would cook up good etc. Or just make them all and throw them in a crockpot to keep them warm? Just trying to think of an even easier way to do it.

I am not having or going to a super bowl party but i may just have to make these up just for me.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Josh - here are my thoughts on your comment. I'm wrapping my chicken pieces the night before in bacon but I'm not going to roll them in the mixture until just before they go in the oven. I think they would get soggy in the fridge with the mix on them. Rolling them in the mix really goes faster than you might think. I wouldn't cook these in the crock pot. Your bacon would never get crunchy enough. You could put them in the crockpot after you cook them. They are so good my gang would eat them cold, lol. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Lisa

test it comm said...

Those looks like tasty treats for game day!