Thursday, May 1, 2008

Swiss Chard with Olive Oil, Garlic & Sea Salt

I stopped at the market on the way home and as soon as I walked into the produce section my eyes were drawn to bright colors of this beautiful Swiss Chard. I grew up eating the stuff. When I lived back and home with my parents, we grew it in our garden every year. Only my Dad and I liked it though. My mom used to make it with potatoes for us. I can skip the potatoes and go straight for the chard.

Let me try to describe the taste to those of you who haven't had the pleasure of eating Swiss Chard. It's kind of like tangy spinach, with a little broccoli rabe mixed in and maybe of dash of collard greens. It's not for everyone and I say thank goodness cause that just means more for me!


This variety was called Bright Lights.

Swiss Chard with Olive Oil, Garlic & Sea Salt
1 bunch of Swiss Chard
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 cloves crushed garlic
sea salt

Rinse and clean the chard and coarsely chop it in 3 inch sections. Use a big pan to cook this in. It will look like a mountain of greens at first, but it will cook down to nothing. Let the pan get good and hot. Add the olive oil and then add the chard. Turn it frequently as it cooks. Add the garlic after about 2 mins when they have wilted down a bit. I add a little sea salt at this point too, but I also hit it with some more salt just before serving.
Green leafy veggies, yum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, another cooking site to add to my Google Reader! Was fun browsing... some good-lookin' recipes like those smashed potatoes, whoopie pies, and I see you tried PW's onion rings. I never won any of her contests either, but I always try anyway. :)

This swiss chard is pretty! I never had them, but I'm starting to get a bit more adventurous in my cooking, so maybe I'll try them. That was pretty good of you to be able to explain what they taste like.

Thanks for stopping by my site. Have a good day! And sorry for your loss... 21 years, wow, I'd have been very attached too!