Sunday, December 6, 2009

Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles

Waffles CUr

It snowed last night.

Big, beautiful, light fluffy snowflakes that made my heart smile.

I love the snow.

I wait in anticipation for it each winter, anxious as the temperature drops. Watching as it covers everything up, like a giant sugar shaker in the sky, blanketing everything in it's whiteness.

Snow3

Snow2

Snow4

I love everything that goes along with the snow too. My warm mittens, my cozy scarf, my knit hat, my favorite boots. I love it all.

Every frozen droplet looks like a crystal to me.

Snow

Snow1

Snow5

White mornings make me want to make hearty breakfasts. When I think of hearty breakfast I think of waffles. This morning I thought of Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles, a recipe I had been stashing away for just such an occasion.

This is an Art Smith recipe that I found at
101 Cookbooks.

These are quite possibly the best waffles I have every made. I don't know if it was the addition of the sour cream (or the whole stick of butter, yikes, I know, but you only eat 1 or 2 right?), but these we outstanding.

The original recipe didn't call for the addition of the blueberries, but I have a whole freezer full of them that we picked over the summer, and these waffles were just calling for them.

Perfect!


Waffles CU2

Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles
original recipe from Art Smith via 101 Cookbooks.
Printable recipe
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter melted
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
Maple syrup or jam, for serving
* I added in 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries.

Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Lightly oil the grids. Meanwhile whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to combine and make a well in the center. Whisk the melted butter, milk, sour cream, and eggs in a medium bowl until well combined and pour into the well. Whisk just until smooth; do not over mix.

Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter into the center of each quadrant of the waffle iron and close the iron. Cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the waffles hot, with the syrup passed on the side. Makes twelve 4-inch waffles.

10 comments:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

The waffles look great! I'm loving all the winter pictures too. It snowed here too. It's so pretty outside :)

TKW said...

I love the pictures! You're very good! And the waffles, of course, look amazing!

Stefanie Snider said...

the waffles look fabulous! i hate the snow and hope it doesn't get that way up here in the PNW this winter. **fingers-crossed**!

Mayberry Magpie said...

Gorgeous photos and yummy-oh waffles!

I'm so envious of both.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These do sound incredibly delicious and the snippets of your first snow fall are a real treat as well.

Jessica said...

Gorgeous photos! Your waffles sounds amazing. Perfect for breakfast next weekend.

Jeff said...

I am now ready for the snow thanks to the fact the snow blower is assembled and starts. Granted it smokes badly but hey it throws snow.

I have a tub of sour cream that has zero use right now but I am thinking Saturday morning this sounds awesome!

Nicely done!

Sandalola said...

Wow, your pictures are so beautiful! And the waffles sound really good.

Foodiewife said...

I am a quiet fan of yours. I have been for some time. You've been on my blog roll since I first started admiring your gift for photography. I bookmark so many recipes, I'll never live long enough to make them. But, when you mentioned this recipe on Jen (URB's) blog, I printed it-- hoping I could finally find a waffle recipe I would like. It took me 15 minutes to make this batter, and I did add blueberries. I could hug you. For the first time in my life, I like waffles! I made these for my husband. He ate four, I age three. When strawberries come into season, this is my go-to recipe. I'll be posting this on my blog, sometime this week and giving you a loud shout. You are one of my most admired bloggers, but I haven't left comments very often.... more of me considering you and Jen as "royalty" with photography. Thanks!

Heather said...

Seriously delicious! Made these this morning!