Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Baked Salami & Mozzarella Eggrolls

Baked Egg Rolls 2

I found a great appetizer for your next party or cookout.

You can thank me later.

Who doesn't like egg rolls? I love egg rolls. Love them. If you don't like egg rolls, well let me tell you, you might like these egg rolls cause they are not your typical egg roll. Get my drift? No, hang in there with me, you will.

As much as I like them, I never make egg rolls cause I hate frying them. I'm not really into frying much of anything. I don't like the mess of frying or the time I have to stand in front of a pan filled with hot oil. Then there's the paranoia. When I'm frying, I'm always overly cautious. No one can come near the stove, the dog has to leave the kitchen, don't distract me or talk to me...I'M FRYING WITH DEADLY OIL HERE! It really does scare me a bit.

When I made the fish tacos a few weeks ago, I think that was about the first time I've fried anything in a year or more.

So, these are not your typical egg rolls, in fact, except for the wrapper, they probably don't qualify as an egg roll at all, but that's what they are called, so who am I to argue?

What they are is easy and delicious and baked not fried.

I found this recipe on my friend Jenny's site Jenny Mac's Lip Smack. Thanks Jenny!

My mind is already coming up with all kinds of other filling for these. You could do all veggies, or ham and cheese or Southwestern egg rolls, or maybe a cream cheese and crab filling, kinda crab rangoonish? The possibilities are endless really.

Baked Egg Rolls 3

With just a few simple ingredients you have a really delicious crunchy bite. I wondered if baking them would be as good as frying them, and it is! They are so crispy that you won't even think about them not being fried.

Baked Egg Rolls 1


Baked Salami and Mozzarella Egg Rolls
1 Egg, lightly beaten
12 oz. mozzarella cheese sticks. (Jenny used jalapeño sticks, we are wimps here so no jalapeño for us!)
24 Slices Thin Salami
24 Egg Roll Wrappers
vegetable oil for coating

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the egg in a small bowl. Unwrap your string cheese and cut each one in half. Lay a egg roll wrapper down on a flat surface like a diamond. So that that one of the points is facing you.

Brush each side with the egg wash using a pastry brush. Place a piece of salami in the middle of the wrapper, and then 1 piece of the string cheese at the bottom of the piece of salami. Roll the wrapper up from the bottom until piece of cheese is covered, then stop and fold in each side, then continue rolling it and make sure it's sealed well. To see an example of how to wrap these correctly click here. The recipe is a bit different, but the wrapping is the same. Repeat until you are done or run out of an ingredient. I had a pound of salami and 2 packages of wrappers so I just made as many as I thought we would eat.

Place each egg roll on a baking sheet lined with parchment and lightly brush the tops with vegetable oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. *DON"T OVERBAKE!* Your cheese will ooze and that's not a good thing! Cool slightly and then dig in!

7 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

I'm loving this idea...I can see lots of possibilties here! I'm glad they are not fried.

Amy said...

Why in the world don't I come up with these creations? Oh right..because I'm not a genius. I'm on it. Although it might wait until next week. I JUST made the Super bowl chicken bacon wraps!

Nisa Homey said...

Baked???why dint i think of that before...awesome clicks.

Unknown said...

Printing, and thanks!

Gloria said...

i have the same exact feelings about frying - it's terrifying! so happy these tasty little eggrolls are baked (whew!)

Katie said...

Ugh...I hate frying, too! The smell is the worst. I'm definitely gong to try this sometime.

Monica H said...

I actually have egg roll wrappers that I bought while back and forgot about. They've been in the freezer and this is exactly what I'm going to make. I hate frying too, just because it's such a mess and a waste of oil so these are perfect. Thanks!