Monday, March 14, 2011

Creamy Coconut Cake

Coconute Cake
Let me introduce you to my friend Amy.

Wife, mother, cook, baker, hysterical video maker, and all around spectacular human being, oh and she is also blogger extraordinaire. She has a little blog that you might have heard of..it's called Very Culinary.

Recently Amy made a recipe I posted and said some really kind words about me. I was flattered and as I was reading I thought "I can say the very same thing about her". When Amy says “You have to make this!”…well…I make it! See that was me quoting Amy about me and now I'm using the same quote about her. Did you follow that?

So I see this cake that Amy made for her daughter Haley's birthday and I immediately thinking I'm totally making this cake. Coconut and I have this special relationship. It exists for my pleasure and I eagerly and happily enjoy it in any recipe that I can get my hands on. Oh yes, I have big love for coconut.

If you are a coconut lover, and you need some gooey coconutty goodness, you need to make this cake, and devour it to pieces and then thank Amy, oh and you can also thank Kim, another one of my very favorite people on the planet (She was the one who turned us all on to this recipe). Thanks Kim!

Wanna hear about my mid-recipe freak out? Ok, so I was making this cake for a few friends that I was having over for dinner that night. I was preparing it in the morning and as I was pouring the mixture over the cake, I didn't think it was absorbing into the cake correctly. So what do I do? I run to ask Amy on Facebook, hoping she's on, and sure enough, a few minutes later, Amy responds and tells me not to worry, the cake will suck up all the coconutty goodness, and it did. So don't panic and think that your going to end up with a gooey mess. It really will suck up all the goodness.!


Creamy Coconut Cake
Serves 15
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour

Ingredients
• 1 package of white cake or butter cake
• 3 eggs
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 can (15 ounce) Cream of Coconut
• 1 can (14 ounce) Sweetened Condensed Milk
• 1 1/2 cups Shredded Coconut
• 1/2 cup toasted coconut
• 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip

Directions
Make cake mix as directed on box and bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan.

While the cake is cooking, whisk together cream of coconut and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, fold together 1 1/2 cups coconut into the Cool Whip. Set aside.

Let cake cool for 10 minutes. Poke holes all over the top of cake with a fork. Spoon condensed milk mixture over the cake. Let sit for another 15 minutes. Spread Cool Whip mixture over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup toasted coconut. Cut to desired size pieces and serve.

Coconut Cake

7 comments:

Amy said...

Ha. There's so much love. You're too sweet and I crazy adore you to pieces. Group hug!

I'm so happy you enjoyed this cake. Big win in our house, too. Also glad you included that note about the sauce absorbing. After your nail-biter moment, I immediately revised my recipe to include it also.

Mollie said...

Wow - you have outdone yourself (again!). This looks sooooo good! I must make it soon!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Wow. My BIL loves coconut so we might have to try this!

Looks similar to a coconut Dulces De Leches. And, my aunt's orange cake.

(Here's a pic of that...)
Not too pretty, but tasty!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3215728703_b5486de806.jpg

Yum. Coconut.

Kim said...

Group hug! Group hug! Love really does make the world go round.

I would update my recipe but I remember having the same panic and it makes me giggle, so I'll be impish and leave mine be. Of course, whenever I bake anything I have a panic moment. I thought that was normal. No? ;)

Unknown said...

this looks so good, your photos are so beautiful! have a nice day!! susan

elizabeth said...

yum! It's a tres leches cake!! Always a hit in my book.

Shaheen said...

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. An absolutely delicious cake!