Monday, June 20, 2011

Homemade BBQ Sauce

Homemade BBQ sauce

It's finally cookout and BBQ season here in New England. I couldn't think of a better way to kick off the season than by sharing a recipe for BBQ sauce.

Making homemade BBQ is pretty simple.

All you're really doing in taking a bunch of ingredients and slap 'em all in a heavy pot and cooking it for a few hours.

The result = thick and tangy BBQ sauce that will having you wondering why you didn't try making your own sooner.

This is another recipe that I have to thank my mother-in-law Carol for. She emailed it to me, but called me before to put in her disclaimer.

"Now I know you don't really like them, and I have NEVER made any of their recipes before, but the recipe I sent you is from....THE NEELYS and I hate to say it but, it's really good"

The Neelys. Ugh. What can I tell you. I just can't watch them. I've tried, twice, but both times I was forced to change channels before the show was half way through. They are just too lovey-dovey, and smoochy for me. Makes me wonder where their hands have been before they touch the food. Sorry, that's really what goes through my head.

So, yes, I can't stand the Neelys, but I'm happy that my mother-in-law could tolerate them long enough to try this recipe and pass it along to me.

I've made it two times already and plan on making a triple batch to get us through the cookout season.

I tweaked it a bit. Don't I always? If you like it with a little more kick, add in whatever will spice up your life.

Homemade BBQ sauce cu1

Homemade BBQ Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
6 teaspoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons, fresh cracked black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon corn syrup

Combine all ingredients into a heavy bottomed pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 hours or until thick. Refrigerate leftovers.
Post a Comment