Friday, September 9, 2011

Lime in the Coconut Frosted Cheesecake Bars

Lime in the Coconut Bars

First off my apologies if you have that dreadful song stuck in your head.

Every time I mentioned the name of this recipe my husband turned into Homer Simpson.

"DOH, now that song is stuck in my head again".

Baaaahhhahahahahhaha!

I really can't stand that song. It's right up there with "Midnight at the Oasis" and "Hey Mickey" on my list. Your list may vary.

So even if you have that awful song stuck in your head, and even though you might be singing it while you make this, and even while you serve it, and then you'll curse yourself for it, it's worth the torture.

Lime in the Coconut Bars 3

If you like key lime pie, you will love these.

If you don't like key lime pie, I would shy away from this recipe.

For you key lime lovers let me tell you this....this is refreshing and tangy and the perfect ending to a warm summer night. (Yes, technically it's still summer folks).

Lime in the Coconut Bars 2

Lime in the Coconut Frosted Cheesecake Bars
Cookie Base
1 pouch (1lb, 1.5oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten

Filling
2 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 can (16oz) cream of coconut (NOT COCONUT MILK!) After much searching, I found mine at the local liquor store
3 tablespoons lime juice, from about 3 medium limes (fresh please, you’ll thank me for making you not use the stuff in the bottle)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Topping
This is where I changed things up a bit. I’m not a fan of canned frosting (sorry Mrs. Crocker) so I chose to use this lower-fat version from Chocolate & Zucchini.

8 oz cream cheese at room temp
1 ¼ cups marshmallow crème (7oz) - just use the whole jar.
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 350. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9x13 in pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl stir the cookie base ingredients until a soft dough forms. Press evenly in the bottom of the pan. Bake 15. DON'T OVERBAKE. Take it out when it still looks under cooked. Cool 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the cream of coconut until well blended. Beat in the lime juice, vanilla and the eggs. Mix until smooth. Spread over cookie base. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set and light golden brown on edges. Cool 30 minutes at room temp. Refrigerate 1 hour to cool completely.

For the Topping:
Combine all the ingredients in a medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy. Spread on cooled bars.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I absolutely love key lime pie, so I know I'd love these!

Becki's Whole Life said...

OMG Lisa - my mouth is watering. I love lime and coconut and these look amazing. I'm sure toasting the top layer of coconut gives it a great flavor.

Amy said...

Worst song ever...Come on Elene by Dexie's Midnight Runners OR I Touch Myself by the Divinyls.

I love key lime pie :D

Unknown said...

That looks divine! I am trying to keep away from sweets but since there is fruit it probably doesn't count. Cheers, Kate

Anonymous said...

I just bumped into your site and I'm so glad I did! I have two hungry teenageers in the house as well-although one just started college this year, they still eat a lot of food! This dessert looks divine! anne at www.anniebakes.net

Perfecting the Pairing said...

Wow... those look amazing!!! I will definitely be trying those as soon as I find that coconut goodness in a can.

meggiesue said...

Trying these bad boys out for a bunco party tonight!! Can't wait