Monday, September 19, 2011

Pasta E Fagioli

Pasta e Fagoli


I’m bacccckkk.

So since I disappeared for a bit I’ve….

  • Obviously got my computer back.

  • Had a new tile floor installed in my breezeway (for those of you who asked “what’s a breezeway?” It’s the room the room which we enter the house in, usually it’s between two rooms, mine is between the garage and the kitchen door). The house was a mess for about a week. We still need to paint and install new baseboards, and now I have to totally re-decorate so everything matches my beautiful new floor. I’m excited!

  • We’ve been sick. I can’t tell you the last time I had a head cold. It’s been years. 3 out of 4 of us had one. Evan was spared. I was pretty miserable for a few days.

  • I’m excited. So very excited about autumn. It’s my favorite season, not only for cooking and baking, but for everything else about it too. I love when the weather gets chilly! I can hardly wait to decorate for Halloween!

Since we’re talking cooler weather I thought I’d share this recipe for Pasta E Fagioli.
I think it started out as one of those copy-cat recipes for Olive Garden soup. It’s morphed into something different with me now.

I only changed things up a wee bit.  I added in more V-8 and more hamburger, and threw in some frozen peas. I think that's about all I did really. This soup is perfect for chilly weather. Grab a slice of crusty bread to go along with it and you have a terrific meal.

Pasta e Fagoli11




Pasta E Fagioli
1 ½ pounds of ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, julienned
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 – 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 – 15 ounce can red kidney beans (with liquid)
1 – 15 ounce can great northern white beans (with liquid)
1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 – 48 ounce bottle V-8 juice (the whole big bottle)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
handful of frozen peas
½ pound ditalini pasta.


Brown the ground beef in a large sauce pan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat.


Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sautee for 10 minutes.


Add all the remaining ingredients, except the pasta and simmer for 1 hour.


About 50 minutes into the simmering, cook the pasta until just al dente, drain and add to the post. Simmer 5 – 10 minutes more and serve.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

Yum Yum !! Think I'll whip this up for supper tonight. Thanks for posting.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Welcome back, Lisa.
You've been missed - hope you are feeling better.

Hey, I'd love to see some before/after pics of the breezeway :)

And, the recipe looks fab!

Foodiewife said...

Welcome back. Glad you are feeling better, and so is your computer. I'm psychologically ready for Fall. I got my bread recipes lined up, stews and soups. Now it's 80 degrees outside, and will be this way all week long. California...so unpredictable!

Jessie said...

If I want to eliminate the ground beef altogether, how much v8 would I use?

Thanks -- looks great :)

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thanks Dana! It's good to be back. Now I just have to get boy wonder to fix my USB ports!

Jessie - I would just kinda eye it. Maybe use 3/4 of the bottle until you get the "soupiness" you like? Hope that helps!

Amy said...

Glad you're back! I'll have to file this away for later...it's still 95 degrees here (she says with a smile...I know, I'm alone.)

Becki's Whole Life said...

Welcome back Lisa - glad everyone is feeling better!

This sounds sooo good (just like all of your recipes) I love a good hearty soup and this is pretty healthy, too. I love your addition of peas. Sprinkle some parm on top and some good bread and I would be a very happy camper!

Maria said...

What a comforting dish!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Perfect dish for autumn!