Monday, October 24, 2011

Dutch Apple Pie & a personal loss.

Dutch Apple Pie

I have a heavy heart today. I lost an old friend this weekend.

Andy was 42 years old. He had two little boys who he affectionately called "the punks". He was the kind of friend that even if you hadn't seen him in years and years, you'd just pick up where you left off. He was always smiling. He was a drummer. He loved heavy metal. He gave great hugs. He loved life.

Two weeks ago he crashed the bus that he was driving into a tree. It took too long to get him out. He laid in a coma for weeks. Saturday he passed away. I read about it on Facebook. Sign of the times I guess.

This is the 2nd friend that I've lost in the past 2 years. Both too young to leave this earth. Both with children who won't grow up with a father in their life. It just tears me up inside.

I cooked a lot for Andy back in the day. He was a young kid living on his own for the first time in his life and I can't tell you how enthusiastic he was when I made him a meal. The joy on his face was just contagious.

I was cooking most of the day when I heard he was gone. Cooking for me is like cheap therapy. It's takes me to another zone.

While I was chopping and dicing he was in my head the whole time. I thought about whether or not I should even post about Andy here. I know most people want to come and see recipes and photos and hear about all the happy stuff, but life isn't always happy, and if I'm gonna keep it real as they say, I thought I should share this part of my life too. The not so happy part.

I'll miss him forever. We shared part of this life together and for that I am thankful.

Dutch Apple Pie whole

So in honor of Andy I bring you PIE.

Sweet Dutch apple pie with a crunchy topping no less. This recipe was a snap to make...NO PIE CRUST involved.

I think Andy would have loved it.

Dutch Apple Pie slice

After reading the reviews of this recipe, I decided to add in some cinnamon as suggested by many. Glad I did.

Dutch Apple Pie
recipe from Taste of Home
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup quick cooked oats (I didn't use quick cook, came out great)
3/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons of corn starch
1 1/4 cups cold water
3 cups diced, peeled apples (about 3 medium)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the crust and topping:
In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and butter. Set aside 1 cup for the topping. Press the remaining mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Make sure to push the mixture up the sides a bit too.

For the filling:
Combine the sugar cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon and apples.

Pour into pie crust, top with reserved topping mixture. Bake at 350 for 40 - 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

17 comments:

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I too recently had a friend pass away, he was only 38 and had a 2 year old daughter. It is such a shame...and breaks our hearts for the children. You're in my thoughts and prayers as well as his family...

Amy said...

You know I always say "Pie makes everything better." Well, maybe not everything. So sorry for your loss, Lisa. You've been through a lot these last couple years. Life is so unfair sometimes.

The Internet Cooking Princess said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. There's no better way to honor someone than to make something for them - even if they can only admire it from afar.

krysta said...

i am so sorry lisa. i am thinking of you and those boys.

Anonymous said...

I always cook when I'm sad, too. It's very theraputic.

I was wondering .. how many apples does this recipe take?

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

I'm sorry Lisa. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

And, the pie, as always, looks amazing.

loxiemom said...

So sorry.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. The comfort that food provides is understandable,it allows people to be themselves and to share that with someone else. So thank you for capturing that and sharing it.

Janie said...

I am s sorry for your loss. I know only too well, what it is to lose someone close to you..Even sadder when they leave young children and wives or husband behind.

I have also done the same..made a dish that reminds me of the person..or times together...
I will remember his family in my prayers.

G.E. said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry for your loss :-( Sometimes it just seems people are taken too soon and yet, in even such a short time, they make such a huge impact our lives. May your cherished memories of your friendship give you comfort.

That pie sounds great! Can't wait to make it. I was going to ask you if it was you who posted that grated apple pie recipe last year. Do you remember it?

J. Thomas said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't ever worry about posting whatever you need to post - the thing about creating a blog is creating a community, and what communities do in times of sorrow is band together and help support each other. <3

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thanks for your kind words all. They do help.

G.E. yes that was me with the Grated Apple Pie. Here's a link:

http://thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com/2009/09/grated-apple-pie-with-streusel-topping.html

Flat Creek Farm said...

Lisa, I am truly sorry for your loss. I think your pie is a fitting tribute to your dear friend (and may I add - it looks delicious). Sending thoughts and prayers for you and the family. So sad! -Tammy

Lauren said...

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had a chance to create memories with your friend, hold them in your heart forever!

White Toast with Butter said...

I am doing my usual catch up on my favorite blogs....I'm so sorry about Andy. So tragic.

Unknown said...

I've posted this to my Pintrest account & called it "Andy's Pie."
What a beautiful and YUMMY tribute to someone that was dear to you.
I cook to heal as well. Can't wait to try this on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you that I tried this recipe at Christmas and everyone LOVED it. I had to break the news that I thought I forgot to "Pin" the recipe and they were in disbelief....I am so happy I found it again and hope that time has been able to heal some of your heartbreak.