Friday, January 6, 2012

Pierogi Lasagna

Pierogi Lasagna

I love Pierogies. Those little bundles of dough filled with potato and onions and sometimes sauerkraut. Come to think of it, anything stuffed in dough is pretty delicious in my book.

Do I get to eat Pierogies often? No.

Does anyone in my house like them besides me? No.

Would I make a whole batch just for me? I'd like to but...again, no.

So when I found this recipe for Pierogi Lasagna just before the holidays I flipped. I knew I could make it when there were others besides my men in the house.

I made this for my New Years Eve party. It was a hit. A total hit. Yeah! People to share my pierogi love.

The original recipe came from Mr. Food. It did not include a sauce. After reading through the recipe, I thought it would have been just too dry without it. I whipped up a bechamel sauce and I'm so glad I did, cause it was just perfect.


Pierogi Lasagna 1

Even my husband, whose not a big onion lover loved this. I plan on making it again and again.

Pierogi Lasagna
adapted from a recipe at Mr. Food.
12 lasagna noodles * see my note on prepping the noodles.
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 medium-sized onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

See my note below on cooking the lasagna noodles.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add remaining onions, pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.

Place enough  bechamel sauce to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. Place 3 noodles on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture and  bechamel over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top).

Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.

Bechamel Sauce. I use this recipe from Leite's Culinara. It's quick and delicious.

* This is how I prep my noodles for lasagna. Place the noodles in a 9x13 inch pan and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 15 - 20 minutes. This will soften the noodles but not make them mushy. Works every time.


Pierogi Lasagna 2

13 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

Any type of lasagna appeals to me so this looks delicious. I haven't seen this type before now, but I know I'd love it.

Unknown said...

this looks fantastic! thank you for sharing with us! susan

Foodiewife said...

Ya know, I don't think I've ever had pierogi. I have no idea why, because it sounds delicious. I think you had a moment of sheer brilliance, with the Bechamel sauce. I've pinned this one to make, when I'm craving pasta and a white sauce. Maybe it's my German DNA, but I have a feeling this one would hit a homerun with me.

Bunny said...

Years ago my niece was selling a cookbook for her 4H club and there was a recipe called Pierogi Casserole. This is pretty much that recipe accept I remember there being a jar of Cheez whiz in there somewhere. LOVE THIS!

Designed By CeeJayRose said...

That looks so good. I think that will be cooked up pretty soon. :)

Rachel said...

Lisa, your recipe says "add remaining onions," but I don't see where the other onions went. It looks like Mr. Food recommends to reserve some for the topping. Did you do that or just mix them all in with the potatoes?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Oops forgot to delete that! The original recipe said to reserve some onions and top the casserole with it. I omitted that step! Sorry for the confusion!

Robyn said...

I have some no-boil lasagna noodles in my pantry. Can I just use those as-is (no noodle prepping), or do I need to add some liquid to the lasagna?

Mrsblocko said...

I made a version of this and wrote about it here. There should be some sort of warning that it makes a metric ton. ;) I was up to my eyeballs with leftovers for my small family of 3.

I particularly love your tip with the noodles. Worked perfectly.

Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Anonymous said...

I also wondered about the no-cook lasagna noodles. I'd really like to be able to use those since I'm not a very good cook and will likely screw it up :)

Unknown said...

Looks awesome! We are perogy eaters here and a classic Ukrainian sauce for them is a butter/sour cream, green onion mixture, heated and stirred (constantly) until smooth. Also, must have Bacon in the potato mixture with your onions...and cheddar cheese! Just ideas! I can't wait to try this lasagna =)

Unknown said...

Looks awesome! We are perogy eaters here and a classic Ukrainian sauce for them is a butter/sour cream, green onion mixture, heated and stirred (constantly) until smooth. Also, must have Bacon in the potato mixture with your onions...and cheddar cheese! Just ideas! I can't wait to try this lasagna =)

lynnssouthernheart said...

Wow this looks fantastic and I cant wait to give it a try! thanks for the recipe!