Friday, January 20, 2012

Health(ier) Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Espreso Muffin

Hey it's Friday and there is snow on the ground here in Rhode Island!

Snow makes me happy. Unlike most of the people who live in this state, I love the snow. A blanket of white covering the ground always makes me smile!

John loaded up the bird feeders so my feathery friends can get their fill of seed, the remote starters were engaged, the shovel came out (sorry hon, he's not too keen on the shoveling part) and these muffins were in the big glass jar in the kitchen.

I told ya I was on a breakfast kick didn't I?

I found this recipe on Cooking Light. It was super easy to throw together (no mixer involved) and they tasted great.

I substituted espresso powder for the instant coffee. The only instant coffee in the house is a giant jar of the really crappy, really nasty cheap stuff I use for crafting and I didn't want to throw that into a muffin batter.

We have more snow coming tomorrow and a big game on Sunday - GO PATS!!!!  - so I'll be back in the kitchen tryin' out a few more breakfast recipe to share with you all!

One last thing! DON'T OVER MIX YOUR BATTER! This will make for a tough muffin which is nothing like a tough cookie. Totally different thing!

Have a great weekend!

Chocolate Chip Espresso Muffin 1

Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
recipe from Cooking Light
2/3 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons instant coffee (I used 3 TEAspoons of espresso powder)
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 large egg
9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Oven to 400. Combine the first 5 ingredients. Lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine the next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl and stir well with a whisk. Make a well in the center and pour in your milk mixture. Stir until just combined. DON’T OVER MIX! Stop when the mixture just comes together.

Spray a 12 cup muffin pan. Spoon batter into each cup (about 2/3 for each cup). Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.

11 comments:

Jackie said...

These look amazing, I just might have to try them this weekend.

Becki's Whole Life said...

They sound great...I love the idea of using the espresso powder. Enjoy your snowy weekend!

Vicki said...

These do sound great. GO RAVENS:)!!

Renée said...

YUM! It's snowing right now and I'm ready for a muffin with some herbal tea. Thanks for your delicious post and visit.

Unknown said...

these look amazing!! susan

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Lisa,
I just want to say a big THANK YOU for being our #5 referrer in December.

It means so much!
All the best,
~ Dana at Cooking at cafe D

(And if the Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins are anything like your Espresso Chocolate Cookies...I'm in!"

Lyndas recipe box said...

These muffins look fantastic. I was just thinking that I'd like to find a new muffin recipe, and here it is - thanks!

İngilizce Gramer Kılavuzu said...

I'm wondering if i can make these by using real espresso?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Dilek...since one is powder and the other liquid I'm not quite sure that it wouldn't change the consistency of the recipe.

Dmyra said...

tough muffin..! ahahaha

VinGirl said...

I made these today, and they were wonderful. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :)