Monday, January 16, 2012

Three Cheese Breakfast Bake

3 Cheese Breakfast Bake 2

I've been on a breakfast kick lately.

I've been scouring through my magazines, cookbooks and the web looking for breakfast recipes.

Of course big breakfasts only happen on the weekends in this house, but that's ok cause I have Monday through Friday to find something I really want to make.

This recipe was handed to me, literally, someone gave me a piece of it and said "here, try this" and I did and it was delicious.

There is a breakfast club where I work, not a cool John Hughes kinda breakfast club, one where once a month they have a member bring in breakfast for all the other employees in the club. You think being a "foodie" that I would be a member of that club....well, you'd be wrong. It's usually donuts and bagels and pastries, not too many homemade items make it to that table, but at year end they have one last breakfast for the year and they all must bring in something homemade. That's how I ended up with a piece of this breakfast bake.

3 Cheese Breakfast Bake

To me there is just something special about sitting around in your pj's with your favorite comfy socks on, the Sunday paper in hand, eating a delicious warm breakfast.

It's what Sunday's should be all about.

I served this to my friend Tati last Sunday. She stops by every other Sunday morning to have a cup of tea and share breakfast with us. This was so delicious that we each had 2 pieces of it served with fresh fruit.

The perfect way to start the day!

Another great thing about his recipe is that you can make it the night before and just pop it in the oven. I left mine out at room temp for about half hour, if you heat it straight from the fridge you will have to add some additional time.

Three Cheese Breakfast Bake
from Kraft Foods
1 - 8oz loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 5 cups)
1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese (I just eyed this)
1 cups mozzarella cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Oven to 350. On a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan, spread 1/2 of the bread cubes. Top with half of the onions, bacon, cheddar and mozzarella. Sprinkle the cottage cheese over the first layer. Just use your hands, it easier. Repeat the layers, set aside.

Meanwhile whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt & pepper until combined. Pour over the bread cubes, pressing lightly until mixture covers the bread cubes. Bake for 50 minutes or until center is set and top is lightly golden brown. If you are baking this right away, let it stand for 10 minutes or so. If not it can be stored in the fridge overnight. If you are baking it the next day, add 10 minutes more on to your baking time.

11 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

I love good breakfast recipes, too. Especially if I can make them the night before. Love that this is about the cheese. Sometimes breakfast casseroles get too overpowered by sausage or ham and I really like the egg/cheese taste. Sounds delish!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

Oh my, I love dishes like this! I can't wait to try it. I'd love for you to share it at my new party:

http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/01/mix-it-up-monday.html

I hope to see you soon :)

Angie said...

Yum - this sounds delicious! I have to find time to make this instead of always going out for breakfast/brunch :)

Unknown said...

That looks absolutely gorgeous.

Gerilynne said...

You've done it again. This looks fabulous and I can't wait to try it. I've been toying with the idea of having some folks over for brunch, and this would be perfect.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Oh, Lisa,
Wow. We really like dijon and we never have enough warm breakfasts.

Look wonderful.
Please consider sharing this breakfasty goodness at our Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!
(It's still open.)

Yum!
~ Dana

Lyndas recipe box said...

Yum, this is right up my alley. I've been wanting a breakfast dish like this lately, so now I have no excuse not to make it

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am getting into Slow Sundays these days and this cheesy baked delight would be perfect with a cup of joe to have a leisurely Sunday morning.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love breakfast foods of all kinds. I love breakfast casseroles like this too, the cottage cheese is a great idea!

Jill Mant~a SaucyCook said...

I love a good breakfast recipe. This looks and sounds delish! Thanks.

Kim said...

I baking a quiche as I type this. I'm really into cheesy breakfasty things too lately. I need to get over it but they are soooo good. This one is making my mouth water and I think if I made this on a Friday and woke up to bake it on Saturday, I'd feel like a weekend warrior.