Monday, January 9, 2012

Random Thoughts & Observations

paperwhites cu

I figured that rather than jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else who posted New Year's resolutions (I don't believe in 'em) or do a top ten (I wish I had the time to even gather the info to post that kind of stuff. I work 40+ hours outside my home so I rarely have that kind of time to devote to this blog. Sorry, just keepin' it real) or list all of the things I hope to accomplish in the year, I'll just throw out some thought and updates as to what's been happening in my little world.


  • As I said before...I was on vacation for over 10 days...I was miserably sick for 9 of those 10 days. Thank goodness I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. Let me tell you, I have been a book reading fool. I read 2 books in 4 days and I have another started. It was a great to push a little button and read in between my frequent naps. *It will never replace real books for me though, but it really is a nice little device!


    Kindle

  • I drank a lot....no not booze...tea. Lots of tea with honey. We had the kettle on and off all day long for weeks.  
  • I lost my voice completely for 2 days and have been hoarse ever since. Hoarse in a gravely, creeky way, not in a sexy Demi Moore way. The first morning I came out of the bedroom and couldn't talk John did a fist pump and said "thank you Jesus". Meany.
  • I realized how just how much of my Nana that Alzheimers has stolen.  She spent Christmas day with us and it was heart-breaking. I took lots of pics of her. 
  • I had some really intense dreams. I don't know if it was the head cold or not, but I would wake up shaking or crying on some nights. One night I dreamt about my friend Andy who passed away a short time ago. He was talking to me and we were forehead to forehead, something he did often and I remember saying "I miss you so much" and pulling back to see his smile. It made me happy and sad all at the same time. Tati says that was him visiting me. That made me feel so good.
  • I learned how much I love my "comfy cozy" blanket as I call it and how good it feels to have Moose curl up and keep my feet warm. Best lap dog ever.
  • Each gathering with my friends makes me realize just how much I love them. They are more than friends to me, they are part of my family, the part that makes me laugh till my sides ache.
  • My paperwhites bloomed. They look so pretty, but they stink so bad.

    paperwhites

  • I got new pasta bowls from Pier 1. I love them. It's the little things.
  • I miss taking pictures outside. It happens every winter. I'm forced to take pics on the weekends. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, so no weekday pics are happening.
  • John took to me Providence (THE BIG CITY) and we went out to lunch together and then stopped at Crate & Barrel where I got some bargains. I love a good bargain.
  • I miss yard sales. I think 2012 will be the year I score something amazing. I just feel it in my bones.
  • I miss my friend Mitchell. It's the first time in a long time that he didn't spend Christmas with us.
  • I wish I lived closer to my blogging buddies. I hear about their meet-ups and I get jealous thinking about all the fun they are having without me. I still love them though. 
  • I watched the Steven Tyler Oprah special like four times now. I just love that man. 

    People Steven Tyler

  • I can't wait to cook and bake and take pictures and share them with all of you in 2012.
  • Thank you all for still coming and reading.

    8 comments:

    Bunny said...

    Lisa I'm sooooo sorry you were sick for 9 days! Holidays can bring out warm thoughts and sad thoughts at the same time. Spring will come like it always does and you can take your beautiful pictures for all of us to see. In the meantime, try to thing of one beautiful thing about winter and capture it for us. I love you Lisa! ((( HUGGS))))

    Jackie said...

    Just recently found your blog....love it, I'm a lover of Photography and cooking, I made a recipe I found on your page the other day Gnocchi mac & cheese. Loved it. I've added your blog to my reading list and I'm looking forward to following you in 2012. Sorry to hear you were so sick. Jackie

    Unknown said...

    I love your list.

    Melissa said...

    I believe he was visiting you in your dream. My dad visited me on and off for almost two years after he died. I believe very strongly in that. ♥♥♥

    Glad you're feeling better. I am looking forward to more food and beautiful photography from you in 2012. All my best~

    Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

    Sending you some virtual soup.

    I love the look of paperwhites, but they are apparently a little poisonous - and our kitties get sick at the blink of an eye. But yours are pretty :)

    Can't wait to see the new bowls!

    Ditto on the meet up thing...

    littlepinkdresslinda said...

    Tatie was a nickname for Ernest Hemingway in "The Paris Wife". Good book!

    Kim said...

    I skimmed this a couple of weeks ago and have wanted to come back and read it through ever since. I teared up when I read about your friend Andy. What a beautiful image of you two talking forehead to forehead. I always love reading about your real life moments. And do you know this was the first time I realized that you worked full-time plus! You must be seriously energetic to get all you get done!! I am even more impressed! Wow. And I agree about the meetups, but I'll be happy just seeing friends out on FB, Twitter and on Pinterest. All of these venues are making us more clear and dimensional and close. I love that.

    Have Myelin? said...

    I just found your blog - and you know how blogs are, you have to read them backwards... anyway I love it.

    I lost my daughter two years ago and I love, love, love it when she visits me in dreams. It doesn't happen often but I cherish it when it does.

    And all the receipes you have oh gosh... I wish I had the space to cook...but maybe one day.

    I'm telling myself I found your blog because soon I will be able to cook all these things again and have good memories. =)

    It all started with your gnocci mac n' cheese.... saw it somewhere and thank goodness it brought me here.

    Wonderful blog, wonderful dog, wonderful food.