Monday, April 2, 2012

Deviled Egg Spread

I'm re-visiting an old post today. One I posted way back in 2009. Since there will be an abundance of hard boiled eggs happening this week, I thought I'd dust off this recipe for Deviled Egg Spread.


Deviled Egg Spread plate


We just can’t have a party here without deviled eggs. It’s something my husband started when he moved here to RI from the Southwest. I can’t even begin to tell you how many deviled eggs I’ve made over the years. Lets just say – a whole freakin’ lot. I have my deviled egg recipe memorized, that’s how many times I’ve made them.


There was one instance where I threw caution to the wind and decided I wasn’t putting deviled eggs on my party menu. I believe it was Evans’ birthday in 2007. I even announced it proudly to the family weeks before “I’m not making deviled eggs” I yelled loudly from the kitchen. Like it was a proclamation. “I shall not be preparing the eggs of the devil for the celebration that will take place in a fortnight”. There were a few “awwww’s”, but really no major protesting. Evan doesn’t even like deviled eggs, so he could care less. Well, well I thought. Maybe no one will even care if I don’t make them.


Fast forward to the party. A glorious array of food covered the counters and tables. A virtual feast lay out before the party guests. Surely no one had even noticed that the deviled eggs aren’t on the menu. Huh, I pulled this off. Maybe I won’t be stuck making deviled eggs 15 times a year after all.


And then it started. My sister-in-law was the first to notice “Lee, where’s the deviled eggs?” (She is a deviled egg fiend). “Oh I didn’t make deviled eggs.” I said. “What??” “No eggs??” She looked like the Aunt in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. “Whatchu mean you didn’t make deviled eggs? You always make deviled eggs!” And so it began, person and after person looking for the deviled eggs. I heard it the whole night. Alright, alright already. I learned my lesson. I’m sorry. I shall repent. I will never again host a party without the deviled eggs!! Well almost….. read along my friends.


Deviled Egg Spread.1jpg


I found this recipe in Food & Wine magazine. It’s a recipe from Katie Lee (Billy Joel’s ex-wife). I guess she’s quite the little Southern cook. The preface to this recipe was “I can’t have a party without deviled eggs”. Hmm sounded vaguely familiar. So on I read, and by the time I got to the end of this recipe, I was once again proclaiming in the kitchen. This time I was shouting “ I will be making deviled egg spread for the labor day party, not deviled eggs, but a tasty spread that tastes just like deviled eggs, served on crackers!” The kingdom roared! “Yes, yes, please make the deviled egg spread” they begged. And so I obliged. Happily boiling, peeling, chopping and mixing. The deviled egg spread was served and the kingdom rejoiced!


So if you are a slave to the deviled eggs like I was, liberate your self from the plain ole stuffed eggs and make a deviled egg spread instead. Your kingdom will roar too.


Deviled Egg Spread coll


Deviled Egg Spread
Recipe from Katie Lee
Food & Wine – Sept 2009
1 dozen large eggs, hard boiled
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Salt & pepper
Paprika for dusting


Shell the eggs and halve them lengthwise. Coarsely chop half the egg whites and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the remaining white and all of the yolks to a food processor along with the mayo, mustard and vinegar.. Process until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and blend with the chopped egg whites. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.
Post a Comment