Monday, April 16, 2012

Honey Beer Bread

Honet Beer Bread

It's finally getting warm in Rhode Island.

Yesterday I had a day that I needed badly. A day to myself.

John was off to a Red Sox game, the boys off doing what they do. Jesse was home but I barely heard a peep from him, it was a day mostly for me.

I dug in the dirt. I cooked and baked what I wanted, when I wanted too. I spent hours taking pictures and editing them. I took a magazine outside and hung out in the yard reading. It really was just what I needed.

The weather is cooperating too so things are looking downright springy around here....plants are starting to bloom, flower beds have been raked, all the stuff that was piled in the shed last year has now seen the light of day.

My hydrangeas are are budding, my hostas are peeking their noses out of the ground, I'm looking through seed catalogs, I'm designing new beds in my head, I'm anticipating all those cookouts and get togethers with family and friends.

 Spring really is here.

I couldn't be happier.

I love working in the yard.

I love planting and growing my own food.

I love getting my hands dirty and I still love to bake bread.

I know it's not really the bread making season, but our bread eating doesn't stop in the spring, or summer, or any season for that matter.

This is a recipe you can throw together in literally 5 minutes.

You can eat with a delicious soup, you can eat it toasted for breakfast, you can eat is as a snack.

 My friend Tati was over Sunday morning and she ate it with butter and jam.

 It has a touch of sweetness to it. Kinda like my day yesterday.

 Honey Beer Bread 2

 Honey Beer Bread Recipe
Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
4 Tbsp. (half stick) butter, melted (**You can double this if you’d like**)

Makes 1 loaf

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer and honey into the dry ingredients until just mixed.

Pour half the melted butter into the loaf pan. Then spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter. (Use a pastry brush to spread it around if you’d like.)

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like the perfect day! i'm going to make this today! thanks for sharing, hope your week is just as good as the weekend :) susan

Foodiewife said...

I wholeheartedly agree-- homemade bread is good year-round. So is drinking beer, and I'll bet this is fantastic. I'm always looking for a quick bread. We just got slammed with heavy rain (thank goodness), but I'm thinking that our tomatoes and herbs are happy campers, now. It's nice to have a "me" day. Enjoy.

Kimmy Bingham said...

Honey, beer, bread. You sold me at simply the title!

Laura @ wyldethyme said...

You are right... I'm just over the border in CT and the weekends was beautiful, I was not lucky enough to get a day to myself, but the weather is getting awesome! I was looking for something quick to make to bring into work tonight... I think I just found it.
P.s. The pickle dip was amazing... I made it for Easter, a double batch, and it was gone that day. Thanks for such great recipes and photography!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Yum. It's freezing here in Chicagoland.

OK, not really. But, it's been high of 60 degrees with 50 mph gusts!

Tonight I might toss a stew or soup in the pot - and this beer bread would be perfect!

~ Dana
Cooking at Cafe D

Anonymous said...

Is there a flour (like almond or such) that can be substituted for the regular flour.. for us no grain peeps?? thx :)

Missy said...

This looks delicious! And easy enough for a non-baker to put together. Thank you! Days to yourself that pan out so beautifully are a treasure.

Patrick said...

Just made this today and it's so delicious! This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Dania said...

I made this today and it was awesome. I look forward to making it again and experimenting with different beers. Thanks for the great recipe!

Monica H said...

I've had this bread on my list for awhile. Looks so good!

Anonymous said...

My husband has been fighting off a sinus allergy cold type of thing for a few days now. He hasn't been up to eating much so I wanted to make something comforting for him.....what says comfort like fresh warm bread?? I just turned the loaf out of the pan. He has been lurking around the kitchen door for 20 min now, so that's a very good sign. It does smell incredibly good. I'm getting a little impatient myself. Thank you so much for sharing. I think this is going to become a regular recipe in my house. -Jess J Ft Thomas Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

Made it tonight... it was so yummy. THANKS FOR SHARING. :)