Friday, March 15, 2013

Blueberry Croissant Puff

Blueberry Croissant Puff

I love Sunday morning breakfasts. There is no rush. There is no scrambling to get out the door.  We sleep in a little, there is the Sunday paper to read, our mugs stay out most of the day, it's just lazy and loungy and everything good about a day of rest.

Twice a month I try and think outside the box and make something different for breakast. My friend works 3rd shift as a nurse so every other Sunday she stops by after church to join us for a cuppa tea and breakfast.

Let me confess, when it comes to breakfast foods, I'm not a French toast/pancake/waffle kinda girl. Breakfast foods for me are eggs, bacon, fruit, cereal, a good bagel. That's just how I am.
 
If you love French Toast, you'll love this. If you love bread pudding, you'll love this. If you love blueberries, you'll love this.

Tati came last weekend and she is a total French toast/pancake/waffle kinda girl. So I made this, thinking of her breakfast bliss and not my own but boy was I surprised.

This was so light, delicate and but still had that custardy texture.  It was melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious. I made a 8x8 pan and 3 of us devoured the whole thing (well we sent one piece home for John, Tati's husband).

Blueberry Croissant Puff3

The next time I make these I'm going to double the batch.

I used store bought croissants, cause who in the heck has time to make their own croissants? Please don't answer me if you just said you do.

Blueberries worked perfectly in this. Don't love blueberries?  Substitute any fruit you like.

You can sprinkle the top with powedered sugar when it's done, but we just wolfed it down straight outta the oven.

Pin It
Blueberry Croissant Puff
recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Double the ingredients to make a 9x13 pan.

3 large croissants, cut up in small pieces (about 5 to 5 1/2 cups). I used mini croissants and just filled them up to the 5 1/2 cup line)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place croissant pieces in a 9 inch square pan. Sprinkle with blueberries.

Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add milk, beating the whole time. Pour evenly over croissant pieces. Let stand 20 minutes.

Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until set in center and golden brown. You may want to cover it with foil for the last 10 minutes if the tops are getting too browned. Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar.

6 comments:

Rocquie said...

I will be making this one. It sounds delicious (mmmmm, blueberries and cream cheese)and looks beautiful.

Rocquie said...

I will be making this one. It sounds delicious (mmmmm, blueberries and cream cheese)and looks beautiful.

Kim said...

I'm with you-- Sunday morning is possibly my favorite time of the entire week. It's so soft, sleepy, gentle and quiet and usually filled with some delicious aroma coming from the kitchen. I'm looking forward to this Sunday's brunch, but it won't be quiet. My nieces are coming for a spend the night tomorrow. They LOVE blueberries so I know they would love this. I will start making my croissants now... ;-) hahaha right.

Lora said...

I made this this morning. I work days and mt husband works night. Saturday is our lazy day. He sleeps a few hours the he gets up and has his coffee and we watch our tv shows we recorded through the week. I got up before he did and had this waiting on him when he woke up. He was surprised, and I must say, It was Yummy!!! My husband, my 16yr old son(who is never happy), and my belly thank you!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Lora I'm so glad you all enjoyed it. Thanks for leaving me feedback!

HeidiInHolland said...

This looks so good and just right as DH loves blueberries. We pick them in the summer and freeze them to use all year round. Thanks!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi