Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Simple Roasted Carrots

Roasted Carrots with thyme 2jpg

I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately.

Maybe it's because I'm done with winter (says the girl who loves the snow) or maybe it's that my beloved Moose has been on my mind so much or because I've quarreled with someone I love and it's left a pit in my stomach.

I can't quite put my finger on it.  I'm sure its a combination of it all. It's showing on my face too apparently. I was in a meeting at work on Monday and one of my co-workers, who I've been working with for 30 years, pulled me aside after the meeting was over and asked "Are you ok?" "You look so sad, and you never look sad".

I explained that I was missing my dog, and lucky for me, she feels the same way about her pooch as I felt about mine, so we had a little cry together. 

I feel like I'm still in a bit of a haze. I'm hoping spring, and all that comes along with it, will brighten my days. I've been cooking up a storm and cleaning up a storm too. I've got ideas and plans and lots of projects swirling around in my head that should kick the dull-drums straight outta me.

I'm coming around slowly.

So I spent most of the past weekend in the kitchen, trying out some new recipes and putting my own twist on a few old ones. I started with one of my favorite veggies - carrots. One of my most favorite ways to eat any veggie is roasted. Carrots are always at the top of the list. These are so simple to make. I hold them at the stem and eat them in three bites - gone. They taste better than candy to me.

Roasted Carrots with thyme 1

I bought these adorable stemmed carrots at my local BJ's Wholesale Club. If you can find them with the stem still on, I highly recommend you pick some up and try this recipe. If not you can use regular ole carrots peeled and sliced in half length-wise if they are too thick.

Pin It
Simple Roasted Carrots
recipe from Lisa@ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary

Line a baking sheet with parchment. Place the carrots on the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat evenly. I added some fresh thyme and then sprinkled generously with salt and pepper.

Bake at 425 for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the carrots are soft and sweet. See simple.

5 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

These look and sound ah-mazing! Thanks for the recipe, and my heart goes out to you. The loss of a dear companion, and a winter that doesn't seem to end make for a crappy combo. Soon, things will be better. I just know it! -Tammy

Inner Muse Jewelry Design said...

Simple is best!! These look delicious and I need to get out of the green bean/salad rut for sides. Will be making these soon! Hope you are feeling better on all fronts. We lost our beloved yellow lab in Jan. and I'm still grieving. Some days are just harder than others, it takes time to heal the heart.

Amy said...

Hey, even people who love winter, still need warmth and sunshine. Spring will be good for you...warmer temps and everything in bloom. Hang in there, honey.

And these carrots? Just about the prettiest picture. Ever.

Jeane M. said...

Sending you warm hugs and smiles hopes it will lift up your spirit even a little. Love roasted veggies. Got my eye on your next posts.

Anonymous said...

Found this post on Pinterest and peeked around on your blog to read more about Moose. Sending you warm thoughts from chilly Minneapolis. And, thank you for the roasted carrots idea. :)