Friday, July 29, 2016

Blueberry Muffin Cake

Blueberry Muffin Cake 2

So it's blueberry picking time here in Rhode Island. I've been out picking 2 times so far and hauled in 21 pounds!

Last year for the first time in over 25 years I didn't get to go to my favorite local blueberry farm and pick, so this year was extra special. For you local folks, I pick at Macomber's Blueberry Farm in Rice City. His berries are the size the grapes so the pickin' in easy and plentiful.

The first thing I do when I come home with my berries is to get right into baking something delicious with them. I start looking for recipes back in May in anticipation. Once I get them home, I flash freeze my unwashed berries on a cookie sheet for easy, clump-free freezing. I freeze a good amount so we can have cake, pies and muffins all through the cold New England winters. There is nothing like eating berries you picked in July in the middle of winter. Makes me happy.

So I had this recipe mulling around for ages. I wanted to make something that tasted like my To Die For Blueberry Muffins. If you haven't tried these you are missing out! They are THE BEST muffins. Click here for the link.

Blueberry Muffin solo

This cake taste just like a big giant blueberry muffin with streusel topping without the hassle of filling muffin cups. It bakes up nice and high and that crunchy topping is amazing!

Blueberry Muffin Cake

I doubled this recipe. One little 8x8 wasn't going to cut it with 3 men in the house. They could polish that off in one sitting. You won't be sorry if you double it, trust me!

Blueberry Muffin Cake
PRINTABLE RECIPE
For the cake:
2 cups flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

For the topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened

Preheat the oven to 375. Combine all the cake ingredients except blueberries. Using either a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the batter until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Batter will be thick. Spread in greased and floured 8 inch pan. If doubling the recipe use a 9x13 pan.

For the topping:
Combing all the ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over over and bake for 40-45 minutes for 8x8. If doubling, increase time to 50-55 minutes. Test by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the center and it comes out with just a few crumbs on it. You can let it cool completely or eat it while it's still a bit warm.

No comments: