Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Healthier Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Sometimes you need to break free from the monotonous breakfast routine you're in and try something a little different.

I eat the same 3 or 4 things for breakfast every day. I try and stay away from carbs, I watch my sugar, I eat protein, I try and do everything right, but every once in awhile I crave a muffin and I know most muffins are full of sugar and carbs and really aren't good for me, so I went searching for a muffin that wasn't quite so bad for me and I found it in this scrumptious little muffin.

Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Muffins 2

These muffins are not overly sweet but still pack in a lot of flavor.

Healthier Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
adapted from a recipe at Ambitious Kitchen
PRINTABLE RECIPE
1 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup milk
½ cup regular or mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with nonstick cooking spray.

Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel. This is important, so don’t forget!

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add coconut oil, honey, vanilla, egg and egg white; mix on medium-low until smooth and well combined. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and milk; mix again. Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.

Evenly divide batter into prepared liners. Bake 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. After 5 minutes, remove muffins and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!

No comments: