Friday, January 14, 2011

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie baked in a cast iron skillet

Choc Chip Cookie Cast Iron Skillet 6

What do you do when you have an unexpected day off from work cause you had a major snow storm hit??

Well of course you stay inside all cozy and comfy and you BAKE!


That's what I did Wednesday anyway.

You turn on the stove and pull out the mixer and gather all your ingredients and you measure and mix and bake, and then you do the dishes, and you don't even mind being stuck at the sink cause you have a bird feeder right outside your window and you get to watch the birds eating while you're cleaning up your mess.

Then while the cookie bakes you throw a load of laundry in, wipe down the bathroom, sweep the kitchen floor, pick out your outfit for tomorrow and straighten out your coupons.

At least that's what I do.

This is, yet again, another Martha recipe. What can I say, the woman knows her stuff.

I thought it was just genius making a big cookie in a cast iron skillet.

No messing with teaspoons of cookie dough. Just gather it all up into one big pile and plop it in the pan. Magic!

Choc Chip Cookie Cast Iron Skillet 2

Evan took the first slice of this cookie.

After one mouthful he declared it "the best chocolate chip cookie ever".

Oh yeah, I'm talking forever and ever, and happily ever after and beyond.

After a statement like that I had to take a bite and I must agree...this cookie was golden brown and crunchy on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside.

Cookie perfection.

I may never make chocolate chip cookies any other way again. Seriously, it was that good.

Choc Chip Cookie Cast Iron Skillet 3

Martha suggests you top this cookie with vanilla ice cream and some caramel sauce.

I think that would be a wonderful way to serve this.

We didn't have any ice cream so we ate it straight outta the pan.

I am thinking about making this again and serving it the way Martha suggests. Wouldn't that be a great dessert for your next dinner party? It's definitely on my list now.

Choc Chip Cookie Cast Iron Skillet 1

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Baked in a Cast Iron Pan
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (9 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (I sprayed mine with just a little cooking spray), and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan. Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Don't overbake; it will continue to cook a few minutes out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in pan, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into wedges.

26 comments:

Blog is the New Black said...

LOVE the idea of a giant cookie in a pan! YUM!

Kim said...

This looks so warm and chocolaty. I want a slice with a big glass of milk!! I do happen to have some chocolate and I do happen to be at home today...and there is snow on the ground! Is it fate?

Monica said...

I just read your recipe and you called for creaming the sugars but you left out the 1/2 cup of white sugar.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thanks Monica! I fixed it! See what happens when you don't cut and paste!

Amy said...

I'm a huge Martha fan. Say what you will about her personality, but she and her staff knows good food for sure. I have several of her cookbooks...Everyday Food Fast has stains and sauces drippings all over it.

I've had this recipe bookmarked forever. Naturally, it is you who will get me to actually make it.

Katrina Oh said...

I have been thinking about getting a cast iron skillet for a while now. I think you just convinced me! It looks so pretty, as does the cookie!

Gloria said...

this is such an amazing idea! martha never steers you wrong!

Cherine said...

Giant cookie is a great idea!

Unknown said...

Hi..I Have made the chocolate chip cookie bars in a 9x13 pan...but I would love to try this recipe. I only have a 9 inch cast iron skillet, do you think that would work by just cooking it a bit longer? Please advise..thanks so much

Vicki Wilde said...

Giant cookie! Looks amazing. Reminds me of the season finale of Community last year... :) Great trick with the cast iron skillet, I need to get myself one of those!

Medifast Coupon said...

Giant cookies are the answer to a snow day, definatley. A dinner party dessert is a great way to serve this!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Michele, yes I think it will work. I'd cook it maybe just a few minutes longer. Don't overbake!

Foodiewife said...

I love my cast iron skillet. Now, I have another recipe to use. I loe bar cookies, because they're less labor instensive Bookmarked and I'm so making this for my boys! Thanks!

Jennie said...

I'm sold! I love my cast iron cookware but never thought to make my giant cookies in them- I always use pizza pans! Brilliant!

Jenn said...

This sounds divine warm right out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!

Lacey @ dishfolio said...

Um...yum!!! We'd love for you to post this recipe at dishfolio.com!

oneordinaryday said...

I've never seen a chocolate chip cookie look quite so pretty. :) Yum!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

I made a cookie like this once before and it didn't even last long enough to snap a photo. Yours looks amazingly good!

Katie said...

That looks awesome! Such an impressive presentation, too.

guilty pleasures said...

I made the cake yesterday with some changes (I run out of some ingredients :)
I didn't have chocolate chips so chopped some chocolate and it melted while in the oven, so my giant cookie is super dark brown but still moist and delicious :-D

thank you so much for the recipe and try eating it with flavoured buttermilk (I've got "baked apples" flavoured and it seems ideal for the cake)

Nisa Homey said...

Hi there...first time here...thats an amazing gaint cookie there....seriously I hate rolling and cutting cookies and this looks easy....I am going to give it a shot...but tell me is it ok to bake in an aluminum round pan..I dont have an iron skillent....glad I found ur space. Do visit mine....http://nisahomey.blogspot.com

Nisa Homey said...

Lisa...I am ur newest follower..congratulate me :).

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Hi Nisa...thanks for being a follower. I'm sure you could bake this in an aluminum pan but I'm not sure you will get the same result! Let me know if you make this!

Cheeermy said...

I tried all kind of recipes to beak delicious chocolate cookie, but this is the best among many. Thanks girl!

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness! I WILL be trying this one!

I just came home with my first cast iron dutch oven and skillet and have been looking at new recipes to try, which lead me here to your wonderful blog. I'll be trying this one as soon as the canning gets done this weekend! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to
be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware
of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Feel free to surf to my web-site; https://quake.ethz.ch/