Friday, January 7, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf with leeks, mushrooms & fontina

Turkey Meatloaf with leeks, mushrooms and Fontina2

I'm a little slumpy with the blog lately.

Don't think I don't think you didn't notice. (Did you get that???)

It's not that I haven't been cooking, it's just that I haven't been cooking anything that I really think is bloggable. I haven't even made any sweets. I think Christmas got me sweeted out...for a bit. I have plans for this weekend. Oh I have plans. We are supposed to get some more snow and snow always makes me want to bake, so some baking shall commence.

Let me just throw these words out there...

Pistachio
Oatmeal
Devils Food.


Oh yeah. Wait....I'm not making something with all those ingredients combined, although now that I think about it, it really wouldn't be that bad, lol.

Since my men cannot live on sweets alone, I give you meatloaf.

My husband is all about the meatloaf.

I think he would be one happy man if I served meatloaf two times a week.

He's not picky either.

He'll eat when I make it with ground beef or with ground turkey.

He'll eat it hot, room temp or cold in a sandwich.

He really loves his meatloaf.

I found this "Martha" recipe for a Turkey Meatloaf and I tweaked the heck out of it, so I suppose I should credit her with this recipe, but I doubt she'd recognize it at this point, and besides, I guess I did just credit her in the preceding sentence. So there Martha.

We really loved this somewhat "lighter version" of meatloaf.

Turkey Meatloaf with leeks, mushrooms and fontina.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small leek, sliced, white and light green parts only
4 ounces (1/2 of an 8 ounce pkg) baby bella mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 pounds ground turkey
salt & pepper

Oven to 350. In a large skillet heat the oil. Add the leeks and cook until softened. Add in the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are cooked (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook one more minute. Set the mixture aside to cool.

In a large bowl mix the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently. Just use your hands. Add in the mushrooms and leeks and mix just until combined.

On a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, use your hands to form the turkey mixture into a 10 inch loaf. Baked until cooked through (about 45 minutes). Rest 10 minutes before serving.

Turkey Meatloaf with leeks, mushrooms and Fontina1
Post a Comment