Monday, June 16, 2008

Berry Trifle

This is a recipe I got back in the 80’s from a nice lady that I used to work with named Ferrell Dewell. I have several of her hand written recipes in my collection and this is one of them that I have been serving for over 20 years now. Ferrell was sweet little lady with a very unusual name. She passed away about 10 years ago, but her trifle lives on.

Over the years I have changed this trifle to fit my mood. I added some coconut in between the layers this time. I am a huge fan of coconut, especially when it’s combined with strawberries. Other times I have added in crushed pineapple with the berries & coconut for a
kind of pina coladaish flavor. Once I made this with chocolate pudding, marbled pound cake, and crushed toffee bars for the kids. The combinations are endless. Other than the pudding and milk there are really no exact amounts, which is great. This is a recipe you can have fun with and really make your own.

Berry Trifle
Printable Recipe
1 angel food cake, cut into bite size pieces
2 pkgs of instant pudding mix (I used coconut cream pudding for this, but you can use whatever you prefer)
Fruit of your choice – I used strawberries, blueberries & raspberries for this version
8 oz whipped topping

Combine the pudding mix and 1 ½ cups of cold milk in a bowl. Beat with a mixer until thickened (about 2 minutes). Fold in the whipped topping.

In a trifle bowl layer the cake, pudding and the fruit, in that order. For your second layer, add the cake, fruit and top with the pudding mixture. I topped mine with some toasted coconut.

Even though we had birthday cake and a gourmet ice cream cake thanks to my neighbors with the ice cream factory, this dessert was devoured. After I snapped this picture, Jesse’s friend Marcus gobbled up what was left…..that was his 3rd serving!

This is a great recipe for 4th of July too....red, white & blue dessert!

No comments: