Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Baked Beans

This is my recipe for baked beans. If I do say so myself….and I will…it rocks. This is not a quick recipe. It’s one of those all niters. It literally takes all night (or day) to bake these, and one day to soak the beans, so it’s technically 2 days, but it is so worth the wait. You do need a bean pot for this recipe, or a heavy cast iron dutch oven. I use my great grandmothers bean pot. It’s about 60 years old. I think that is another reason why my beans taste so damn good.

This recipe came about as a culmination of a few different recipes I had tried. I tweaked it until I made it my own. Feel free to take it and tweak it and make it your own.

Lisa’s Baked Beans
1 bean pot
2 pounds white navy beans, soaked overnight.
1 pound (or so, you don’t have to be exact) of salt pork, rind removed
¾ cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry mustard
3 medium onions, quartered

After the beans have soaked all night, rinse them and put them into the biggest bowl you have in your kitchen. Add all the ingredients and give it a good stir. Place the beans in a pot and cover them with hot water. Stop as soon as you see the water touch the top of the beans. Place in a 250 degree oven overnite. I usually put these beans on before I go to bed. They went into the oven at 10pm and they were finished about 8am, so about 10 hours. Yours might take more or less time. You really have to test them for doneness. They should turn a nice dark brown color and be creamy and tender.




*Always put a foil lined cookie sheet under the bean pot in case of spillage. Mine always seem to bubble over slightly so I have a nice sticky mess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to try to make baked beans, but am not patient enough to soak the beans,then slow cook them. But I like your recipe on putting them in the oven overnite! This is fool proof and so easy!! I must try it!