Saturday, June 28, 2008

Oyster Snack Crackers

This is one of John's (and everyone else who eats them) favorite snacks. I got his recipe from my mother-in-law Carol. She has been making them for years and years. They take about 2.3 minutes to make and will be gobbled up in 1.4 seconds. They are addictive. It's like the potato chip syndrome.....you cannot eat just one...handful. After I took this picture...I ate half the bowl for breakfast. They are the perfect little munchie snack. This is always a Super Bowl must at our house and since John's birthday is nearly here, I thought I'd make him one of his favorites just because, so at 10pm last night I broke out my big bowl and mixed up a batch.

Oyster Snack Crackers
2 - 10 or 12 oz bags of Oyster Crackers (I usually find the 12oz bags, either will work)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 heaping teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 pkg Zesty Italian salad dressing mix (small 0.7oz envelope, usually sold in a 4 pack).

Mix all the ingredients together. I use a 2 cup measuring cup and a small whisk. Pour over crackers. Stir well, but gently. You don't want to crush yer crackers. Let sit 1 day for best flavor.

I know they look like an oily mess. Do not despair. The reason you need to let them sit for a day is so they can soak up all that oily herby goodness. It will work. Trust me.

1 comment:

kat said...

OMG, Bryan's mom makes these and they are DIVINE.

BTW, according to Google, there's an OJ in your state capital.