Sunday, May 3, 2009

Back to Basics - Egg Potato Salad

Egg Potato Salad WS


Back to basics again, this time its potato salad, a staple at every cookout and summer party. I lump potato salad into the category of “everyone has their own version” recipes. Everyone makes potato salad a bit different, just like lasagna, pasta salad, chicken salad, etc, it’s one of those recipes that is really influenced by what your kind your Mom made, your personal preference, and a little ingenuity. Just for the record, I can’t recall my Mom ever making potato salad. It wasn’t something that my Dad would have eaten (still isn’t). My best friend makes an awesome potato salad; she will only use Miracle Whip in hers. I hate Miracle Whip, but I will eat it in her potato salad. Strange but true.

Mine relies on hard-boiled eggs it give it a more creamy texture. I also add pickle juice and a smidge of apple cider vinegar to give it a tang. I steam my potatoes instead of boiling them. I think it helps them from getting waterlogged so they can suck in all the delicious dressing.

Egg Potato Salad SS

I don’t have a formal recipe by any means. Everything is done by eye, but I will try and jot down what I’m adding and how much, so you too and make a delicious and easy potato salad too.

Lisa’s Egg Potato Salad
Printable recipe
6 medium sized russet potatoes, scrubbed, skin-on, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
½ cup good mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
1-teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 sprigs of thyme
handful of chives
salt
Mrs. Dash (few shakes)
¼ cup pickle juice
1-tablespoon apple cider vinegar
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Place a vegetable steamer in a large pot. Fill with water just until it reaches the bottom of the steamer. Place the potatoes on top of the steamer and cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until a knife can slide easily into them. Drain and place into a large bowl.

In a medium size bowl mix the mayo, sour cream, mustards, thyme, chives, pepper, and Mrs. Dash. You can even make this a day before to really let the flavors infuse.

Stir gently into warm potatoes, add the pickle juice, vinegar and bacon and stir gently again. Refrigerate until cold. When I’m serving a crowd I usually sprinkle mine with some paprika and decorate it with some sliced egg, just to make it look prutty.

Sometimes I add red onion. Sometimes I leave out the eggs. I’ve even been known to throw in fresh cubes cukes from the garden. It’s really one of those recipes that you just keep tasting and adding too until you get it just the way you like it.

Egg Potato CU side

6 comments:

Melissa said...

The boiled eggs really do it for me. Oh yeah. Looks delicious Lisa.

Jeff said...

It is the pickle juice that makes it. Heck I keep jars of the stuff just for potato salad or other misc. uses I can think of.

My mom use to make potato salad all the time. Heck when I have a cookout I can always plan on her bringing it.

Charlotte said...

I guess I am kind of lazy about potato salad. Mine would be kind of bland compared to yours.

Juliana said...

Great for the hot days that are around the corner...great pictures.

Doreen Frost said...

Gosh this looks scrumptious!!!! The recipe is similar to mine...I've never thought of adding the sour cream though..I will definitely try that!

:)Doreen

Anita said...

Funny. I was just telling my husband how I like eggs in my potato salad. That looks delish. So does the eggplant ricotta bake! My neighbor is a vegetarian and although I am not, I always share my culinary experiments with her and we both love eggplant.

Pickle juice is a good idea. I've also used olive juice in all kinds of things.