Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Strawberry Vanilla Ice Cream Pops

StrawVanilla Pop in glass dish

Once spring hits and locally grown strawberries are available I just can’t wait to start eating them. Definitely my favorite fruit of the summer, with blackberries and peaches as a close 2nd and 3rd, I love to eat them and bake with them.

When I saw the recipe for these pops in the May issue of Gourmet, I knew as soon as I laid my eyes on it, that I would be making these. Ice cream and berries together?? That is a total no brainer. Talk about easy, these pops came together in a snap.

Strawberry Vanilla Frozen Pops
Printable recipe
1 lb strawberries hulled and halved
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 pints premium vanilla ice cream

Mash the strawberries in a large bowl with a potato masher or a fork. Transfer to a large nonstick skillet along with the sugar and lemon juice and boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and freeze, uncovered, until cold (about 10 minutes).

Transfer the ice cream to a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30 percent power in 10-second intervals, stirring until softened, about 50 seconds total.

Spread even in a 9x13 inch-baking dish and freeze while strawberry mixture chills. Dollop tablespoons of the strawberry mixture all over the ice cream then swirl it gently through the ice cream with a spoon.

Spoon into molds (or paper cups like I did) and add wooden Popsicle sticks. I used the wide craft sticks. I let the pops freeze for about 20 minutes before I put the sticks in. Freeze until firm, about an hour and a half, or up to 4 days covered.

StrawVanilla Pop with lemon

9 comments:

katie said...

Those look great!

Bunny said...

My husband is an ice cream freak!! He'll love these. I've been buying strawberries for the last couple of weeks in the store but I just can't wait till they're in locally!!

Jeff said...

I would say this is a healthier way to eat ice cream for me because I could just have one or two. However, after about the tenth one I would be cursing that I did not make just a batch of ice cream and devour it that way.

noble pig said...

These are adorable, I haven't looked at my May issue yet but how yummy.

Daziano said...

Easy and delicious, the perfect combo!

Juliana said...

Love your pops...great idea for the coming Summer.

Memória said...

These look great and refreshing. It would be much easier to make with homemade ice cream, though.

klawellin said...

They look yummy...Thanks!

Candy and Cake Sugar Designs said...

Yummy! Must try this weekend!

Candace