Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna side view

Yeah yeah I know Cinco de Mayo was yesterday.
Why am I posting a Mexican inspired recipe today?
Cause I'm like that. I will not conform dammit! LOL

I actually posted this recipe just about a year ago when I had a crappy little point and shoot camera and had only made it that one time. Since then I have perfected it and it’s really one of my families most requested dinners. Although it looks complicated, it’s comes together really fast since the ingredients for the filling are all made and combined in one pan.

I use the large burrito sizes tortillas and cut them to fit nicely in the pan. I use one whole and about a half of another for one layer.

Since I have a sweet tooth and not a spicy tooth I omit the green chilies, but you can certainly spice this up with more chilies or hot peppers to make it as smokin’ as you’d like.

Mexican Lasagna in pan

Mexican Lasagna
Printable recipe
2 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups salsa (that was the jar for me)
1 can (16 oz) refried beans
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies (I omitted cause me no like!)
1 envelope taco seasoning
6 large flour tortillas
3 cups (12 oz) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided (I used 2 bags (Monterey Jack & the Taco blend, so about 4 cups).

In a large skillet, cook the onions under they are just tender, Add the beef and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes; drain. Stir in salsa, beans, enchilada sauce, chilies, taco seasoning, and heat through.

Spray a 9×13-baking pan with cooking spray. Layer with 2 tortillas (I trimmed my tortillas with kitchen shears to fit), 1/3 of cheese and a 1/3 of the meat mixture. Repeat with 2 more layers. You should end up with the meat mixture on top. I had about a ½ cup of cheese left so I sprinkled that on top before it went into the oven. Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray (we don’t want cheese sticking to the foil now do we?) cover tightly and bake for 20 -25 minutes at 375. Uncovered and bake for an additional 5 minutes so the cheese gets nice and bubbly. Once it’s out of the oven you need to let it sit for 10 minutes before you cut into this bad boy or you will have a cheesy mess.

Serve with: Sour cream, sliced ripe olives, avocado, chopped tomatoes, lime, etc.

Mexican Lasagna

9 comments:

Jeff said...

I am such a non-conformist I went German for my Cinco De Mayo meal. Truthfully I forgot and had my heart already set on brats and sauerkraut.

I have been meaning to try something like this because a local restaurant does a Mexican Lasanaga that is amazing.

Plus I love the fact it uses tortillas.

Juliana said...

That is really nice...why not celebrate Cinco de Mayo a la Italian? Love the pictures...really look yummie!

Bunny said...

I'm making this next week for dinner, I ony have to get a couple things at the store for it. It looks great Lisa!

Melissa said...

I had the nice lamb chops thankyouverymuch. Dang overblown holiday...

No exaggeration, seriously, but your photo is the best Mexican lasagna I have seen. I've never wanted to make it until now. Bravo.

katie said...

Great photos Lisa! Looks delicious!

noble pig said...

This sounds fantastic! I love the idea and have a pantry full of all that stuff!

Daziano said...

We're close enough to May 5th, so it's ok for me ;)

Linda said...

I just found your blog and I love this Mexican Lasagna! Yoummy. I am adding you to my faves list. I hope you come over to visit me!

test it comm said...

That Mexican lasagna looks so tasty! What a perfectly cut slice!