Saturday, June 13, 2009

Self Frosting Angel Food Cake

Self Frosting Angel Food Cake

Are you for real?? That’s what was going through my head when I read the post for self-frosting angel food cake on Lynn's site.

I love me some angel food cake, but add in a crunchy topping that does all the work by itself and whoa doggy, you have a dessert to die for.

The kids saw me making these and thought I was making marshmallows again.

Not overly sweet, topped with crispy, crunchy coconut topping, these would be perfect to pack for a picinc lunch or cookout.

Self-Frosting Angel Food Cake
Recipe from Cookie Baker Lynn
Printable recipe
6 eggs whites at room temperature
½ teaspoon cream of tarter
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup sifted cake flour
½ teaspoons vanilla
1/8 tsp almond extract
½ cup flaked coconut

Self Frosting Angel Food Cake plate

Preheat the oven to 325. Position the rack in the center of the oven.

Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tarter and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form.

Sprinkle the flour over the egg white mixture and carefully fold it in. Gently fold in the flavorings.

Pour batter into an ungreased 9-inch square-baking pan. Sprinkle coconut over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan about 40 minutes. Remove cake and cut into squares to serve.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Yum! This looks good! Anything that is one simple step for me, but turns out looking like it was more work is a good thing! :) Wonder what would happen if I'd sprinkle something else on top, like strawberries or chocolate chips or nuts... other people in my house are not fond of coconut.

Anonymous said...

ummm...this looks good! Hi Lisa~I think this may be my first comment on your blog although I've been following you for a while now..I just LOVE your banner! Now that I've said that, I love all of your recipes too! (I've even tried a few)
I'm going to try this one for sure!
Thank you for sharing it!~warm regards~Kathy

Jenny Saunders said...

Very definitely a cake I wanna try...but where do I get cream of tater? bwahahahahahaaha. I love it. Yes, I know it supposed to be cream of tartar but I couldn't resist!

Lucy..♥ said...

This cake looks awesome and I love it!