Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mezgaldi

Mezgaldi Onions CU

When I saw the title of this post over at Dutch Girl Cooking, my first thought was Mezga what?? Then I saw the photos of the beautiful caramelized onions, browned to perfections, calling to me from their warm baking dish.

I love onions.

Wait I don’t think you understand.

I LOVE ONIONS.

You all have to do me a favor. When I tell you that I love onions, visualize me saying it in the sultriest, most demonstrative voice you can imagine. I really, really love onions. Caramelized onions are my crack. They are so high on my list of foods I love, that the only thing I can liken my craving to is the way I imagine a heroin addict must crave his next hit. It’s that bad.

I’ve been known to cook up a heaping bunch of them and eat half of them straight out of the pan before they even hit the table.

I got it bad.


So imagine now the salivation that occurred when I saw this recipe for a Moroccan based dish for my beloved onions brushed with cinnamon and ginger and curry powder, oh my. This dish was originally made by Kay’s Moroccan neighbor. Bless you sweet woman. I could have sat down with some crusty bread and eaten all of these straight outta the baking dish. The flavors were just amazing. You get the little hints of the spices in each bite. This dish was so excellent that I can’t wait to make again.

Mezgaldi Onions 1

Mezgaldi
recipe from Dutch Girl Cooking
Printable recipe
4 medium sized onions (I used yellow, Kay thinks a sweet onion would make this dish too sweet).
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon turmeric or ¼ teaspoon curry powder
¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Peel 4 medium sized onions and slice into 1 inch thick. Grab a bowl and combine 3 tablespoons oil with the turmeric or curry, the cinnamon, ginger, and pepper. Mix it all up.

Brush the oil on top of both sides of the onion. Place them in an oven safe dish. It’s ok if they overlap each other.

If there is any marinade left, add it in as well and then pour 2 tablespoons of water down the sides of the baking dish. Tightly wrap with foil and place in the center of a preheated oven. Bake at 400 for 40 to 45 minutes, until they are nice and soft.

Take out of the oven, uncover and drizzle with some of the cooking juices that have accumulated at the bottom. Sprinkle the sugar on top. Turn the oven up (I put mine at 500) and place the baking dish back in, uncovered. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the top layer caramelizes and turns golden brown. I actually put mine under the broiler for about 5 minutes so they would get good and caramelized.

Heaven.

Mezgaldi Onions

6 comments:

Kay said...

Ha! I;'ve made them 3 times ever since she gave me the recipe. I'm totally hooked!

Parita said...

I am a die hard fan of caramelized onions!! Looks gorgeous!

Melissa said...

Noted.

I believe you when you say how much you love onions. That is very much how I feel about spinach and almost used the whole "SAY IT IN CAPS" thing on my post haha.

I will try this as a side dish. I may not be a junkie like you, but I do love me some caramelized un-jins.

Bunny said...

I have to try this, I love onions and peppers carmelized together...be still my heart!

Crystal said...

Oh Lordy. We are kindred spirits, I think. If you ever get to TN, come on over and we will make us a slew of this dish and eat till we are stuffed. I LOVE onions too. The Hubs, not so much. It is a marriage divided. :)

I am making this tomorrow. I can't wait.

Kristin said...

I love caramelized onions! Will have to try this... tonight :-)